sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Barcelona to 'face corruption case' after allegations of paying referees' chief
Home>Football
Published 19:48 7 Mar 2023 GMT

Barcelona to 'face corruption case' after allegations of paying referees' chief

It's reported that a lawsuit will be filed against the La Liga club for corruption

Dominic Booth

Dominic Booth

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Spain’s public prosecutor will proceed with its case against Barcelona for corruption, it has been reported today.

According to Spanish media outlet El Pais, the public prosecutor will file a suit against the Catalan club club and their former president Josep Maria Bartomeu for allegedly making payments to ex referees' chief Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira.

It is claimed Barcelona paid Negreira £1.2m during a two-year period between 2016 and 2018 for ‘technical advice on referees’, while he was working as vice-president of the Spanish football Referees’ Committee. It is prohibited for any member of the committee to be employed by a consultant of a club.

Advert

El Mundo have also reported that the payments from Barcelona to Negreira’s company date back to all the way back to 2001, worth a total of €6.6m.

It was previously thought by some – and stated by outspoken La Liga chief Javier Tebas – the Spanish league couldn't take any action against Barcelona because the statute of limitations had passed.

Barca president Joan Laporta was asked about the issue on Tuesday and said: "Barca has never bought referees and Barca has never had any intention of buying referees.

"Absolutely never. The forcefulness of the facts contradicts those who try to change the story."

Laporta then revealed he will hold a press conference in the next few days to explain the situation in full.

Raphinha scored for Barcelona but then lost his cool when being substituted
Raphinha scored for Barcelona but then lost his cool when being substituted

The news comes with Barcelona enjoying success on the pitch under Xavi this season, currently top of La Liga and favourites to regain the title, despite their Europa League exit to Manchester United.

The club have endured financial strife in recent years and could still fall foul of Financial Fair Play rules after signing the likes of Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha and five other players in the summer, while keeping hold of prize asset Frenkie de Jong despite being in significant debt.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Barcelona, La Liga, Football, Spain

Dominic Booth
Dominic Booth

Dominic is a freelance journalist for SportBible who also works for the Evening Standard and Sporting News and was formerly a Manchester United writer and editor for the MEN. He's a big Test cricket fan and Arctic Monkeys obsessive.

X

@DomBooth19

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

10 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty
    10 mins ago

    Man Utd 'close in' on £140m double transfer including player Michael Carrick 'specifically wants'

    Michael Carrick was officially unveiled as United's new permanent head coach on Friday, having signed a two-year contract.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Liverpool 'reach agreement' over first transfer of summer window

    The Reds are closing in on their first summer signing before the final weekend of the Premier League season.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Man City told potential date for long-awaited 115 charges verdict ahead of Pep Guardiola's exit

    Pep Guardiola's departure from Manchester City comes as the gavel bangs to deliver the verdict on Man City's 115 charges

    Football
  • Hayters
    2 hours ago

    Roberto De Zerbi gives his take on Cristian Romero missing Tottenham's final game of the season

    Romero will watch boyhood club Belgrano take on River Plate instead of Sunday's game in North London.

    Football
  • Hansi Flick speaks out on Lamine Yamal waving Palestine flag during Barcelona title parade - 'Something I don't like'
  • Barcelona set to poach Premier League star as Robert Lewandowski replacement
  • Marcus Rashford achieves feat last done 41 years ago as Barcelona win La Liga
  • Barcelona-Villarreal Miami Game Cancelled as Furious Club Chief Reaction Spotted