sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Banner flown over Crystal Palace vs Arsenal calls for football to 'Kick Rapists Off The Pitch'
Home>Football
Updated 21:45 5 Aug 2022 GMT+1Published 21:33 5 Aug 2022 GMT+1

Banner flown over Crystal Palace vs Arsenal calls for football to 'Kick Rapists Off The Pitch'

A football player accused of rape has been allowed to continue playing by his Premier League club, something that hasn't gone down well.

Ryan Sidle

Ryan Sidle

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Arsenal fans teamed up with feminist campaign group Level Up to fly a banner over Selhurst Park, during the Premier League's opening game, to call for football to kick rapists out of the game.

The Gunners opened the Premier League season with an away fixture against Crystal Palace on Friday night, the second season in-a-row they've had a London derby to kick things off.

Above the ground, a banner was flown over that read 'Kick Rapists Off The Pitch,' after an 'internationally renowned' footballer was arrested on suspicion of rape, last month, in July.

The banner was co funded by Arsenal fans and Level Up, with the campaign group explaining why they flew the banner over the ground.

Advert

"The Premier League are finally beginning to recognise the enormous influence that football has on our culture and our individual behaviours by introducing mandatory consent training," Level Up co-director Seyi Falodun-Liburd told the Athletic.

"We want to see all the actions from our open letter implemented, particularly consequences and disciplinary actions for players who cause harm – and we want this done by an independent ombudsman, who sits outside of any business or club."

The Premier League had announced on Thursday that it was bringing in mandatory sexual consent training to all players in the league.

A statement from Level Up said they “plan to disrupt the fanfare and demand England's top tier takes more action on ‘a culture of impunity around sexual violence in football’.”

It comes on the back of other players facing accusations of rape, with Benjamin Mendy currently on bail awaiting trial for eight counts of rape, one count of sexual assault and one count of attempted rape.

The player who was recently accused remains unnamed but according to reports, his club knew of other allegations against the player for several months.

They have also decided against suspending him or stopping him from playing, a decision that has definitely angered some.

Arsenal fan Mikey Franklin, who helped fund the banner on Friday, told the Athletic, "As a lifelong Arsenal fan, I want to see our club lead the league in fighting sexual violence.

"Anyone who is violent towards a woman must be held accountable, no matter how important they are to any team’s success.

"Sexual violence is a problem everywhere and I want Arsenal, given their importance in the Premier League, to lead the way."

If football doesn't take action against those who commit violent crimes against women they risk alienating 51% of the population.

Featured Image Credit: Level Up/Twitter

Topics: Premier League, Arsenal, Crystal Palace

Ryan Sidle
Ryan Sidle

Ryan is a journalist for SPORTbible with over eight years of experience. Passionate about all sports, he mainly covers football and F1 - Daniel Ricciardo once spent an entire interview referring to him as 'Ryan Gosling,' still his proudest moment.

X

@Sidler28

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Spain rocked by fresh World Cup injury worry involving key star as Lamine Yamal set to miss opener

    Yet another selection headache for Luis de la Fuente ahead of the announcement of his 26-man squad on May 25.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Champions League matches could soon be broadcast for FREE with talks 'very close to being finalised'

    The biggest competition in club football could soon be shown for free.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Celtic could be handed points deduction for next season as former official gives his take on situation

    A large number of Celtic fans invaded the pitch during their final game of the season against Hearts.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    European club 'refuse' to meet asking price for £34 million Arsenal star who hasn't played for the club for 755 days

    The player has not played for the Gunners since the 2023/24 campaign.

    Football
  • Crystal Palace 'open door' to Arsenal swap deal for Eberechi Eze
  • Oliver Glasner Drops 'Abandoned' Bombshell After Crystal Palace Defeat
  • Arsenal could sell first-team star to Crystal Palace to ensure Eberechi Eze deal goes smoothly
  • Crystal Palace Could Face UEFA Punishment over Incident In Conference League