The Premier League club of the player arrested on suspicion of rape was made aware of another rape allegation against the player last autumn, according to a report.
On Monday, The Telegraph broke the news that an "internationally renowned" footballer in his late 20s had been arrested in north London and taken into custody over an alleged attack which is said to have taken place in June.
The unnamed player, who was due to play for his country at the upcoming World Cup in Qatar, was arrested at an address in Barnet.
He was later further arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape that were alleged to have been committed in April and June of last year against a different woman.
The Guardian claim that the player's Premier League club knew about an allegation of rape against the footballer last season but allowed him to continue playing for the first team.
The unnamed Premier League club declined to comment when contacted by The Guardian.
Metropolitan Police have confirmed that a man was arrested in Barnet on Monday and taken into custody before being released on bail on Tuesday.
A statement from Scotland Yard read: "On 4 July, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police. It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022.
"On 4 July, a 29-year-old man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody.
"While in custody, he was further arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape that were alleged to have been committed in April and June of 2021 against a different woman in her 20s.
"He has subsequently been released on bail to a date in August. Inquiries into the circumstances are ongoing."
A report published by The Sun on Tuesday provided further details about the player’s initial arrest and the allegation against him.
It is claimed that player, described in the report as "one of the best at his Premier League side", was taken into custody after a woman accused him of raping her during a holiday in the Mediterranean.
The woman, who is also in her 20s, is said to have shown police photos of "bruising" after reporting the alleged attack, which she claims took place during a holiday with the player last month. The alleged victim fled the five-star resort she was staying at with the footballer and flew home.
She spoke to police on her return to the UK and made a full statement at a police station on Sunday, showing detectives photos that she claimed showed bruising on her body after the alleged attack.
The player is now set to miss his club's pre-season tour while the investigations continue, with the Premier League season due to get underway on August 5.
Featured Image Credit: Alamy
- Premier League Footballer 'Arrested On Suspicion Of Rape'
- New Details Emerge As Premier League Footballer Arrested On Suspicion Of Rape
- Report Reveals FIFTEEN Premier League Players Failed Drug Tests Between 2015 And 2020, Not One Of Them Was Banned
- Mason Greenwood To Remain On Bail Over Rape And Assault Allegations