• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Met Police issue new statement on Premier League footballer accused of rape

Home> Football> Football News

Updated 14:57 8 Jan 2025 GMTPublished 14:37 8 Jan 2025 GMT

Met Police issue new statement on Premier League footballer accused of rape

A file of evidence has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The Metropolitan Police has issued a statement after passing a file of evidence about a Premier League footballer accused of rape to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

The Telegraph first reported in July 2022 that 'prominent international footballer' had been arrested at a property in Barnet after a woman in her twenties had made an allegation of rape.

The player was taken into custody at the time and questioned over the allegations.

He was further arrested on suspicion of two other rapes that were alleged to have taken place against a different woman in her twenties in April and June 2021.

Despite the seriousness of the allegations, the unnamed player has been allowed to continue playing by his Premier League club on full pay.

This was despite opposition from women's groups and some politicians.

The Met Police is said to have been pursuing a 'lengthy and complex investigation' into multiple allegations of rape against the player.

In February 2023, the footballer was interviewed under caution in relation to an alleged sexual offence that had taken place relating to a third potential victim.

However, Police subsequently decided against taking further action in relation to the 2021 allegations.

Met Police has passed a file of evidence to the CPS (Image: Adobe Stock)
Met Police has passed a file of evidence to the CPS (Image: Adobe Stock)

On November 7 last year, the man attended a police station and was again questioned under caution as part of the investigation.

Scotland Yard had said that investigation remains ongoing, covering offences that took place between 2021 and 2023.

Now, police detectives have asked prosecutors to weigh up bringing potential charges against the player.

A Met Police spokesperson told the Telegraph: "Met officers are investigating following a number of reports of alleged sexual offences between 2021 and 2023.

"A full file has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and detectives continue to work with prosecutors.

"Those who have come forward to police continue to receive support from Met officers."

The player cannot be named for legal reasons and his Premier League club has never publicly commented on his arrest or the investigation.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Premier League, Football

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Choose your content:

23 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • CBS Sports
    23 mins ago

    Kate Scott opens CBS Sports broadcast with must-see message after Vini Jr incident

    Kate Scott issued a powerful message following the incident involving Vinicius Junior.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Why Noni Madueke is getting booed after every touch of the ball for Arsenal vs Wolves

    Madueke has received a frosty reception from the home fans at Molineux.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Nick Woltemade sends fans of Premier League club wild amid Newcastle 'transfer' claim

    There are conflicting claims surrounding Woltemade's future at Newcastle.

    Football
  • TNT Sports
    2 hours ago

    Anthony Gordon separated from Newcastle teammate at half-time as fans work out why

    Kieran Trippier and Anthony Gordon clashed at half-time.

    Football