
Jean-Philippe Mateta has reportedly made contact with FIFA to claim that the remainder of his Crystal Palace contract is void.
The Frenchman, who has been linked with a move to Tottenham Hotspur this week, played 63 minutes for Pierre Sage's side as they lost 2-0 to Everton in their opening fixture of the Premier League season on Saturday.
Mateta almost joined Italian giants AC Milan in January, but their extensive medical flagged up a knee issue that ultimately required surgery.
He returned to action with Palace before the end of the season and helped them to win the Conference League title.
Advert
Mateta originally signed a four-and-a-half year contract with Palace when he joined them permanently in January 2022 following a loan spell.
In December 2024, it was reported that the 28-year-old's deal had been extended by a further year to 2027.
Mateta 'takes Crystal Palace case to FIFA'
According to BBC Sport, Mateta has argued that the additional year, of which he has already entered into, is void.
An independent tribunal, under Premier League rules, is said to have assessed the Frenchman's claims, though the report adds it is understood the contract 'remained binding'.
Furthermore, FIFA are said to have ruled earlier this week that overruling the 12-month extension 'is not within its jurisdiction'. No official comment has been made by either party, and it is unclear as to why Mateta believes his contract extension was invalid.
SPORTbible have contacted Jean-Philippe Mateta's representatives and FIFA for comment.
Mateta told Palace in January that he wanted to leave the club, with the Eagles responding by setting a £35 million asking price.
READ NEXT: Wilfried Zaha speaks out on Jean-Philippe Mateta over 'disgusting' row
A deal worth around £26 million was agreed with AC Milan, before Mateta failed his aforementioned medical and the move collapsed.
Palace spent £47 million on Wolves striker Jorgen Strand Larsen to replace Mateta, with the pair ultimately having competed for minutes since January.
Mateta told Canal+ Foot earlier this year that he was 'grateful' for the knee issue being spotted, as he claimed it ended up being 'more serious' than he had been made aware of previously.
"My knee injury was actually more serious than I had been told," he said. "At that moment, when they explained it to me, all sorts of things went through my head.
"Ultimately, I don't regret anything, because if I hadn't done that medical exam, how long would I have been dragging this knee issue along? Luckily, I had that medical and found out exactly what was wrong with me."
Topics: Crystal Palace, Premier League, Tottenham Hotspur, FIFA