sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Fans are shocked at Andy Carroll’s squad number after signing for Reading
Home>Football
Updated 19:31 16 Sep 2022 GMT+1Published 17:21 16 Sep 2022 GMT+1

Fans are shocked at Andy Carroll’s squad number after signing for Reading

The former Liverpool striker signed with the Royals on a short term deal.

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Fans are shocked to find out what squad number Andy Carroll has chosen upon his move to Championship side Reading.

33-year-old Carroll signed for the Royals this week on a short term deal that will run until January. This will be Carroll’s second spell with the club, having played for them during the 21/22 season. 

In his first spell, Carroll made eight appearances and scored two goals. 

Upon signing this week, the former Liverpool record signing was asked to pick his squad number. 

Advert

He was given the options of 2, 20, 26 and 27. To the shock of the football world, Carroll chose to wear the no.2 jersey. 

The no.2 shirt is often associated with defenders. 

Carroll’s rather strange number choice has not gone down well with some, fans were quick to react on social media. 

One fan simply said: “This should be ILLEGAL.” 

Another tweeted: “That's one of the funniest squad number reveals I've seen. Dreadful, but funny.” 

A third fan added: “This cannot be allowed surely, the erosion of the sanctity of the modern game in front of our eyes.... what next?” 

Upon his return to the club, Carroll spoke to Reading’s official website, expressing his delight. 

He said: “I’m glad to be back here, it’s a great feeling. 

“Discussions started with the club six weeks ago so I have been just keeping myself fit and waiting to be ready to come in and train and hopefully sign the contract and I’ve done that now.

“I had been on the phone to the manager a couple of times, and he wanted me in the building a little earlier than this but I wanted to make sure I was fully fit and ready to go and be able to come straight in and be on the pitch.”

Carroll added: “So I came in on Monday and have been here training since then and I feel great.

“I loved it the first time and I love walking back into the building and driving down here, it’s a brilliant place.

“Half the lads are still here and all the staff behind the scenes, it is a brilliant place to be, and I am delighted to sign back here.” 

Featured Image Credit: Twitter/@ReadingFC

Topics: Reading, EFL Championship, Andy Carroll

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

10 mins ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    10 mins ago

    Hull City take legal action hours before Southampton expulsion verdict

    The Tigers are considering taking major legal action to secure promotion to the Premier League.

    Football
  • Image Credit: Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Newcastle set to receive FIFA compensation fee after Alexander Isak transfer to Liverpool

    The Alexander Isak funds continue to pour in despite Liverpool being paid up

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Man City handed second blow as player decides to leave with Pep Guardiola

    Manchester City is being faced with a huge rebuild project in the summer transfer window as another icon walks out with Pep

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    Arsenal player 'open to leaving the club' after winning Premier League title

    The Arsenal star became a Premier League champion but could move on this summer.

    Football
  • Andy Carroll Takes Drastic Action After Full Debut with Dagenham and Redbridge
  • Andy Carroll 'Facing Possible Jail Sentence After Breach Charge'
  • Andy Carroll suffers nightmare Dagenham & Redbridge debut as fans make their feelings clear on striker
  • Non-league club give two-word response after Andy Carroll linked with sensational return to football