Conor McGregor claims he 'carried' Floyd Mayweather in first fight and will 'end' him in next one
| Last updated
UFC star Conor McGregor has claimed he ‘carried’ Floyd Mayweather in their mammoth boxing fight while also seemingly opening up the door for a rematch.
A massive $1.5 billion (AU$2.6b, £1.3b) would be on the table if it were to come to fruition.
Mayweather has been much more open to the idea of a rematch than McGregor, however, it now seems the Notorious has had a change of heart.
Although, he took a jab at Floyd at the same time.
McGregor insisted he would ‘end Floyd’ in the next fight in an interaction with newly-crowned undisputed middleweight champion Claressa Shields.
A fan had compared her accuracy and precision to that of Floyd’s, something McGregor took exception to.
The MMA star tweeted: “You’ve [Shields] way more venom than Floyd.
"I beat Floyd if we rematch. Untold truth it was me who carried him the early rounds playing pitty patty.
"Every single shot I threw early landed. From body to head I was playing ping pong.
"I come out full force, and today, I end Floyd."
Lol yes @FloydMayweather https://t.co/OhDMny3V48— Claressa Gwoat Shields (@Claressashields) October 16, 2022
The pair locked horns in Las Vegas five years ago, where Mayweather went on to secure a tenth-round TKO victory.
McGregor made a good start to the bout but ultimately succumbed to fatigue.
A rematch has been on the cards between the pair for quite some time now, although negotiations have been slow.
It was revealed last week that Money’s team had been in talks with the Irishman about a huge double fight that would see the pair duke it out in both the boxing ring and the Octagon.
A source from Mayweather’s camp told The Sun: “Floyd is now in talks to step over into Octagon if the money is right.”
Adding: "If the deal is struck Floyd will remove the trademark TBE - The Best Ever - if he fails to beat Conor in both fights. That will be added to the contract.
"The boxing will be for official record. And the MMA match will also be for MMA official record.
"Right now they are looking for both fights to be carried out in 2023."
Floyd had confirmed that talks between himself and the Dublin native were happening about the next bout ahead of his exhibition fight with Japanese fighter Mikuru Asakura.
He said: “I want to go out there this weekend and have fun.
"Then I have another exhibition Dubai in November and me and Conor McGregor in 2023.
"We don't know if it's going to be an exhibition of a real fight. But there's been talks of both. I would prefer an exhibition."
Featured Image Credit: WENN Rights Ltd / Alamy. Abaca Press / Alamy.
Topics: Boxing, MMA, UFC, Conor McGregor, Floyd Mayweather