sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Imane Khelif names Elon Musk and J.K Rowling in lawsuit after Olympic Games
Home>Boxing>Boxing News
Updated 08:49 14 Aug 2024 GMT+1Published 07:50 14 Aug 2024 GMT+1

Imane Khelif names Elon Musk and J.K Rowling in lawsuit after Olympic Games

The Olympic Champion has hit back at her biggest critics.

Ben McCrum

Ben McCrum

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Elon Musk and JK Rowling have been named by Olympic Champion Imane Khelif in a lawsuit filed with French authorities.

Khelif has been the centre of a gender eligibility debate after competing in the women's 66kg boxing event at the 2024 Paris Olympic Games.

Khelif become only the second Algerian to win a gold medal at the Games after defeating China's Yang Liu via unanimous decision on Friday.

After it was revealed that she had previously been banned by the IBA from competing at World Championships after failing unspecified gender tests, Khelif sparked fierce debate online, and now she has hit back.

Advert

As reported by Variety, Khelif and her legal team have filed a criminal case against social media X over alleged “acts of aggravated cyber harassment.”

In the lawsuit, both X boss Musk and author Rowling were named in the body of the complaint, which under French law was technically filed against unknown persons.

Nabil Boudi, Khelif's lawyer, revealed that this is done to “ensure that the prosecution has all the latitude to be able to investigate against all people” including hateful users who have anonymous accounts or pseudonyms.

He added: “J. K. Rowling and Elon Musk are named in the lawsuit, among others.”

Boudi also confirmed that former US President Donald Trump, while not currently named, will be looked at during the lawsuit.

"Trump tweeted, so whether or not he is named in our lawsuit, he will inevitably be looked into as part of the prosecution,” said Boudi.

In the first round of the Paris Olympics, Khelif defeated Angela Carina when the Italian boxer withdrew after just 46 seconds as she said she had never felt a punch as hard as the Algerian's.

Imane Khelif defeated Angela Carina after 46 seconds in the first round of the women's 66kg boxing event at the Paris Olympic Games. (Image: Getty)
Imane Khelif defeated Angela Carina after 46 seconds in the first round of the women's 66kg boxing event at the Paris Olympic Games. (Image: Getty)

After the victory, Rowling took to her X account to post an image of the two boxers after the fight, alongside the caption: "Could any picture sum up our new men’s rights movement better? The smirk of a male who’s knows he’s protected by a misogynist sporting establishment enjoying the distress of a woman he’s just punched in the head, and whose life’s ambition he’s just shattered."

Since then, Rowling has posted dozens of messages speaking out against Khelif's inclusion at the Games.

Meanwhile Musk reposted a swimmer Riley Gaines' claimed that “men don’t belong in women’s sports,” alongside his own comment simply stating, "Absolutely."

Trump's response to Khelif's victory over Carina was a promise for his ongoing election campaign for the US Presidency, reading: "I will keep men out of women’s sports!”

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Olympics, Boxing

Ben McCrum
Ben McCrum

Ben is a sports journalist who specialises in football, Formula One and MMA. He has written for publications such as Manchester Evening News, WiganToday, Manchester World and beIN Sports. Throughout his career, he has interviewed top athletes including Gareth Southgate, Luke Littler, Tom Aspinall and Jenson Button.

X

@benmcc14

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

10 hours ago
13 hours ago
14 hours ago
2 days ago
  • Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    Dana White reveals major problem for UFC White House event that he doesn't know how to solve

    The White House is proving to be a thorn in UFC's side, as a rose bush is attracting thousands of pesky guests

    Boxing
  • Getty
    13 hours ago

    "Unacceptable" - Jake Paul bans boxing star from all MVP events after backstage altercation

    Jake Paul's Most Valuable Promotions have confirmed the ban in an official statement.

    Boxing
  • Getty Images
    14 hours ago

    Tyson and Paris Fury's extraordinary wedding gift to Venezuela and new husband

    Tyson Fury and wife, Paris, set their 16-year-old daughter up for life with a wedding gift with husband Noah Price

    Boxing
  • Getty Images
    2 days ago

    Why Venezuela Fury could be married aged 16 after Tyson's blessing

    The pair tied the knot during a lavish ceremony on Saturday, May 16.

    Boxing
  • Imane Khelif issues defiant message weeks after being 'banned' from Olympic boxing
  • IOC makes huge decision on Imane Khelif returning her Olympic gold medal
  • Algerian media make their feelings clear on Imane Khelif gender test controversy and potential Olympic ban
  • Olympic boxer claimed she 'had to preserve her life' after quitting against Imane Khelif after just 46 seconds