sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
The reason why Imane Khelif is able to compete in Olympics boxing despite failing previous gender eligibility test
Home>Boxing
Updated 21:23 1 Aug 2024 GMT+1Published 15:06 1 Aug 2024 GMT+1

The reason why Imane Khelif is able to compete in Olympics boxing despite failing previous gender eligibility test

Angela Carini abandoned her fight with Imane Khelif just 46 seconds into the opening round.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

There has been major controversy in the Olympic boxing after Italy's Angela Carini withdrew from her fight against Imane Khelif, amid an ongoing row over the Algerian's eligibility to compete.

Carini withdrew just 46 seconds into the first round of their welterweight contest at the North Paris Arena on Thursday.

Carini decided that she could no longer continue after being rocked by two punches from Khelif in the opening exchanges of their bout.

Algerian fighter Khelif is one of two boxers - along with Taiwan's double world champion Lin Yu-ting - at the centre of a major controversy at the Olympics, with the pair disqualified from last year's World Championships for failing gender eligibility tests.

Advert

Khelif was disqualified hours before her gold medal bout at the Championships in New Delhi after she failed to meet the International Boxing Association's (IBA) eligibility criteria, with the BBC reporting that she failed a testosterone level test.

While the IBA said in a statement that the pair had been disqualified "to uphold the level of fairness and utmost integrity of the competition", the body also claimed that they "did not undergo a testosterone examination but were subject to a separate and recognised test, whereby the specifics remain confidential".

"This test conclusively indicated that both athletes did not meet the required necessary eligibility criteria and were found to have competitive advantages over other female competitors," the body added.

IBA president Umar Kremlev also told Russian news agency TASS at the time that both Khelif and Lin had "XY chromosomes", according to a report from Reuters.

Despite those claims, Khelif and Lin were both cleared to compete at the 2024 Games in Paris.

The reason why the pair have been allowed to take part in the Olympics is because boxing is administered by a different body at the Games to the World Championships.

As previously stated, last year's competition in India was organised by the IBA.

The Russian-led organisation has long faced questions about its governance and in June of last year was stripped of its status as the sport's world governing body by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

The boxing competition at the 2024 Olympics is instead being overseen by another body, the Paris Boxing Unit (PBU), which approved both Khelif and Lin to take part in the Games.

"All athletes participating in the boxing tournament of the Olympic Games Paris 2024 comply with the competition's eligibility and entry regulations, as well as all applicable medical regulations in accordance with rules 1.4 and 3.1 of the Paris 2024 Boxing Unit," the IOC said in a statement, explaining the decision to clear Khelif and Lin to fight.

"The PBU endeavoured to restrict amendments to minimise the impact on athletes' preparation and guaranteeing consistency between Olympic Games."

Angela Carini withdrew from her fight against Imane Khelif (Image: Getty)
Angela Carini withdrew from her fight against Imane Khelif (Image: Getty)

On Wednesday, Algeria's Olympic Committee (COA) issued a public statement condemning "baseless" attacks on Khelif after questions were raised over her participation at the Olympics.

The statement read: "COA strongly condemns the unethical targeting and maligning of our esteemed athlete, Imane Khelif, with baseless propaganda from certain foreign media outlets.

"Such attacks on her personality and dignity are deeply unfair, especially as she prepares for the pinnacle of her career at the Olympics.

"The COA has taken all necessary measures to protect our champion."

Both Khelif and Lin previously competed at the delayed Olympic Games in Tokyo in 2021. Khelif lost to Ireland's Kellie Harrington in their quarter-final fight, while Lin also failed to win a medal.

"These athletes have competed many times before for many years, they haven't just suddenly arrived - they competed in Tokyo," added IOC spokesperson Mark Adams.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Olympics, Boxing

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

18 hours ago
a day ago
  • Getty
    18 hours ago

    Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua date revealed by Eddie Hearn in latest update

    The fight continues to be pushed back as both fighters are preparing for their respective warm-ups

    Boxing
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Venezuela Fury reacts to comments about £5million wedding gift package from parents Tyson and Paris

    Venezuela Fury has reacted to comments about the £5million wedding gift package from her parents Tyson and Paris.

    Boxing
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    John Fury leaks details of furious phone call with Eddie Hall that started Tommy feud

    John Fury has detailed the phone call he had with Eddie Hall that started his feud with Tommy.

    Boxing
  • Instagram - Noah Price
    a day ago

    Venezuela Fury's husband breaks newly-wed tradition during honeymoon

    Noah Price continues to defy marriage norms as he breaks a golden rule on a honeymoon paid by Tyson

    Boxing
  • Optical illusion foam exercise mats that look like wooden floorboards are perfect for your home gym
  • The real reason why Olympic divers must take shower after every dive could surprise fans
  • What is 'EOR' at the Olympics as Paris games feature team for only the third ever time
  • The real reason why Olympic swimmers wear two caps in the pool