There's A Theory Behind Conor McGregor's UFC Retirement
It was a "where were you when..." moment.
Conor McGregor shocked the world on Tuesday morning when he decided to announce his retirement from Mixed Martial Arts
McGregor, who flirted with retirement in 2016, posted the following message on Twitter, wishing all his colleagues well going forward in competition:
"Hey guys quick announcement, I've decided to retire from the sport formally known as 'Mixed Martial Art' today. I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition." he said.
"I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!"
Hey guys quick announcement, I've decided to retire from the sport formally known as "Mixed Martial Art" today.- Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) March 26, 2019
I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.
I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.
Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!
Many are unconvinced by McGregor's recent revelation and someone who has given his opinion on the matter is UFC lightweight Donald Cerrone.
Cerrone, who has previously been touted to fight the Irish fighter, thinks there is a possibility he could be heading to the WWE.
He also admits he "doesn't buy" his retirement statement:
"No, I don't buy it at all. It will look a lot like what he did but I don't think that is true," Cerrone told SportsCenter.
More Like ThisMore Like This
"I just think he put that out to stir up the media. I read something he may go to the WWE. I don't know. He may have to get out of his UFC contract to do that.
"Retiring is one way out, but I doubt it. He's not going anywhere."
Earlier this year it looked like Conor McGregor's return to UFC was set to be at UFC 239 on July 6th after Donald Cerrone himself posted a not so subtle hint on social media.
But those rumours soon evaporated.
The 35-year-old has now spoken about why talks broke down:
"I was just done waiting, done playing the game," Cerrone said in the interview.
"He is radio silent, so I wasn't going to sit and wait, sit and wait, sit and wait, and then all of the sudden something like this happens where he retires.
"I would have just been out. So I said I am not going to sit and wait for you Conor. I am going to take another fight. If you want to fight me in July, I will fight now and I'll fight you again."