Former UFC star Cain Velasquez has been released on a $1 million bail following a 13-hour hearing.
The two-time UFC heavyweight champion had been charged with shooting Harry Bender earlier this year.
Bender is the stepfather of Harry Goulart Jr, who was the man previously charged with molesting a four-year-old son of the MMA legend.
Velasquez had previously been denied bail after Bender had pleaded with the judge not to release him as he was fearful for his life.
Cain Velasquez has been granted bail at $1 million pending trial.— Damon Martin (@DamonMartin) November 8, 2022
He will have to wear GPS tracking, he must also comply with a protective order 300 yards away from the victims in the case
However, Judge Arthur Bocanegra of Santa Clara County has now set down the conditions for the 40-year-old’s release.
Judge Bocanegra said: “This incident is extremely serious but appears to be isolated behaviour by Mr Velasquez.
“There is also a viable heat of passion defence.”
Terms of the fighter's release include a $1 million bail, GPS monitoring, and compliance to an extended set of terms.
Those terms include no weapons, CTE outpatient treatment, counselling, seizure conditions, and a protective order to stay away from Harry Goularte, Patricia Goularte and Paul Bender.
As per MMA Junkie, the judge told Velasquez: “Mr. Velasquez, I would not release you if I was not convinced that upon a release at this time, eight months later, that you would be a danger to Harry Goularte primarily, Patricia Goularte or Paul Bender.
“If you are as devoted a husband and father, I’m confident and have to believe you will not jeopardize anything that would take you away from your son, your daughter, your family. I hope you don’t prove me wrong.”
The MMA legend replied: “I won’t, your honour.”
Cain Velasquez has been granted bail #freecainvelasquez 💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯. Welcome home CAIN— Derek Brunson (@DerekBrunson) November 8, 2022
For the first time in eight months, Cain Velasquez will get to sleep in own bed tonight. The big man is scheduled to go home in the next couple hours, I’m told. Can’t imagine what that will feel like for him and his family.— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) November 9, 2022
The retired mixed martial artist had served eight months in jail while awaiting the verdict on a handful of charges, including attempted murder.
He had allegedly been attempting to shoot Goularte who had been accused of molesting Velasquez’s son, but instead struck his stepfather in the arm.
His defence attorney had requested bail three times but was shut down on each attempt.
Bender had told the court that he believes the former MMA champion has ‘no respect for human life’ claiming he could have easily shot the family in the car next to them or even pedestrians.
Featured Image Credit: WENN Rights Ltd / Alamy. Francis Specker / Alamy.
- Cain Velasquez given permission to participate in Lucha Libre event while accompanied by police officer
- Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez Arrested On Suspicion Of Attempted Murder
- Cain Velasquez Set To Fight Francis Ngannou In Blockbuster UFC Match
- Thirty-Two Stone Heavyweight Took On Eight Stone Female Fighter In Ultimate MMA Mismatch