sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Max Verstappen hits out at 'bullsh*t' media after Brazil Grand Prix fallout
Home>Formula 1
Published 16:04 17 Nov 2022 GMT

Max Verstappen hits out at 'bullsh*t' media after Brazil Grand Prix fallout

Verstappen was not happy during the Brazilian Grand Prix to move over for Sergio Perez and he's not spoken out about what happened.

Ryan Sidle

Ryan Sidle

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Max Verstappen has hit out at 'bullsh*t' media reports, following his 'refusal' to move out of the way for Sergio Perez at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Despite the fact that both the drivers' and constructors' world championships have been secured by Red Bull Racing for a number of weeks the world champions still managed to add to the drama of the season last weekend.

During the race at Interlagos last Sunday, Verstappen and Perez were well away from the race win, on a very rare occasion considering how the campaign has played out.

All that was left towards the end of the race was to make sure Perez finished as high up as possible, in his own battle to finish second in the drivers' standings, ahead of Ferrari's Charles Leclerc.

Advert

With the world champion ahead of his teammate, it was going to need some team orders for the Dutchman to move over and let Perez through.

The radio message came through on the final lap for Verstappen to move over but he failed to do so, leading to the team to ask 'what happened' on the radio.

"I told you already... Are we clear about that. I gave my reasons and I stand by it," the answer came back from the 25-year-old.

There's been much said in the fallout since the incident, with plenty of reports that it was due to an incident at Monaco, where Verstappen is said to have felt his teammate crashed on purpose in qualifying, guaranteeing Perez would be on pole position.

Now Verstappen has hit out at reports, calling it 'bullsh*t' and called out 'sickening' social media abuse.

"It was about something that happened earlier in the season and I already explained that [to Red Bull] in Mexico," Verstappen said in his interview.

"The team understood and agreed. We went to Brazil and I just thought: ‘We’re just going to race, try to get the best possible result.'

Verstappen and Perez line up side-by-side. Image: Alamy
Verstappen and Perez line up side-by-side. Image: Alamy

"And we had a bit of a miscommunication on the Saturday and Sunday – nothing had been said to me about a potential swap.

“It only came into that last lap that it was said on the radio. They should’ve known my response already from what I said the week before.

"After that race [in Brazil], we had some good discussions – we put everything on the table and everything has been solved.

“In hindsight, we should’ve had that conversation earlier because I have never been a bad team-mate to anyone.

“I’ve always been very helpful and the team knows that. I always put the team up front because at the end of the day it is a team effort. I think what we learned from that is we have to be a little bit more open and we just have to communicate better to each other.

“But, after that race, I looked very bad in the media. They didn’t have the clear picture. But to immediately put me down like that is pretty ridiculous to be honest.

“Because they don’t know how I work within the team. And what the team appreciates about me. So, all the things that I’ve read are pretty disgusting.

Perez now needs to beat Leclerc to finish second in the championship. Image: Alamyc
Perez now needs to beat Leclerc to finish second in the championship. Image: Alamyc

"And also, even more than that, they started attacking my family, they were threatening my sister and my mum, my girlfriend, my dad – and for me, that goes way too far when you don’t have the facts of what actually was going on. And that definitely has to stop.

"If you have a problem with me, that’s fine, but don’t go after my family because that is just unacceptable.

"We move on. Honestly I have a great relationship with Checo.

"But I don’t understand when people don’t have the full picture to immediately start attacking me like that. I hope one day they actually understand what was going on because it’s just unacceptable behaviour [from] so many people.

"Also, in this paddock to be honest. It’s not only fans, but a lot of people what they have been writing about me is just ridiculous."

With Leclerc finishing fourth in Sao Paulo, Verstappen sixth and Perez seventh, the two contenders to finish second are level on points.

Second place in the drivers and constructors standings will be decided at the final race in Abu Dhabi this weekend, fortunately nothing controversial ever happens there...

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Formula 1, Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing

Ryan Sidle
Ryan Sidle

Ryan is a journalist for SPORTbible with over eight years of experience. Passionate about all sports, he mainly covers football and F1 - Daniel Ricciardo once spent an entire interview referring to him as 'Ryan Gosling,' still his proudest moment.

X

@Sidler28

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • Kym Illman/Getty
    2 hours ago

    Max Verstappen’s Formula 1 career could end after ‘mentally not doable’ update

    The four-time Formula 1 champion has had enough.

    Formula 1
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Max Verstappen reports F1 rival over 'massively illegal' action during Canada GP qualifying

    Verstappen qualified sixth in qualifying for the Canadian Grand Prix.

    Formula 1
  • Getty
    7 hours ago

    Toto Wolff speaks out on Kimi Antonelli and George Russell incident

    The Mercedes team principal addresses the clash between the Formula 1 drivers' championship top two

    Formula 1
  • Getty
    7 hours ago

    FIA trigger new rule for second time in F1 history before Canadian GP qualifying

    The FIA have issued a statement hours before Canadian Grand Prix qualifying.

    Formula 1
  • Max Verstappen slams bizarre Red Bull fault after disappointing Canadian Grand Prix qualifying
  • Max Verstappen showcased super-human reflexes during scrap with sumo wrestler
  • 'He wants to' - Max Verstappen in talks over Le Mans 24 Hours entry on one condition
  • Max Verstappen reports F1 rival over 'massively illegal' action during Canada GP qualifying