Wout Weghorst ‘waved goodbye to fans’ as he closes in on Manchester United shock move
| Last updated
Manchester United are set for a shock move for Wout Weghorst, with the Premier League flop appearing to say goodbye to his current fans.
United have been looking for a replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo, since the forward's contract was terminated following his explosive interview in November.
Erik ten Hag's previous target Cody Gakpo moved to United's rivals Liverpool instead, leaving the Dutchman in desperate need of a rethink.
They have been heavily linked with a loan move for Joao Felix or the potential return of Memphis Depay to the club, who didn't really work out the first time.
Earlier in the week, they were said to be considering a move for Vincent Aboubakar, who impressed at the World Cup, with the Cameroonian now released by Al Nassr so they can register Ronaldo.
However, now it looks like it'll be another player who impressed in Qatar who will move to the club, with Weghorst fresh off scoring twice in Netherlands' penalty loss to Argentina, including the audacious free kick equaliser.
On Saturday evening, Foot Mercato journalist Santi Aouna reported that the club were closing in on a loan move for the big striker.
He is still a Burnley player but is on loan at Besiktas currently, meaning the Red Devils would be taking over the current temporary deal.
Weghorst played for his current side on Saturday, scoring the winner against Kasimpasa and his celebration included a wave to the fans, in which he appeared to mouth the word 'bye.'
The report says that United are looking only to do short-term deals in the current transfer window, before 'hitting hard' in the summer window, following the season.
Ten Hag wanted a striker who could dominate in the air, as he is currently relying on Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford as his options upfront.
Fans, especially of other clubs, are likely to mock the signing of Weghorst, especially having been linked with Gakpo and Felix in recent weeks.
Weghorst arrived in the Premier League last January, with Burnley signing the 30-year-old for £12 million to replace Chris Woods, after he moved to Newcastle United.
However, the former Wolfsburg striker did not produce the goals that Sean Dyche's side needed to keep them in the top tier, scoring twice in 20 league appearances.
He had no interest in playing in the Championship, with Vincent Kompany now in charge, and moved to the Turkish Super Lig with Istanbul giants Besiktas.
He has scored seven times in the league so far and that looks to be the end of his scoring in Turkey, at least for the time being, as he moves to Manchester.
Will he manage to score the goals that fire his new temporary team into the Champions League places or will he flop once again in England?