sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
The reason West Ham snubbed Arsenal when announcing Declan Rice departure
Home>Football>Transfer News
Published 11:52 15 Jul 2023 GMT+1

The reason West Ham snubbed Arsenal when announcing Declan Rice departure

They snubbed Arsenal.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

West Ham announced that Declan Rice is leaving the club after ten years of service, but did not mention he was moving to Arsenal once in the statement. Here’s why.

On Saturday West Ham confirmed Rice was leaving in a club-record £105million deal, making the midfielder the most expensive British player in history.

Rice will be Arsenal’s third summer signing, after Kai Havertz was bought from Chelsea for £65million and Jurrien Timber was signed from Ajax in a deal that could reach £38.6million with add-ons.

Rice’s last act as a West Ham player was to become only the third captain in their history, behind Bobby Moore and Billy Bonds, to lift a major trophy, after the club claimed the Europa Conference League last month.

Advert

However, the England international wants to play Champions League football, which is something Arsenal can offer.

In an emotional letter to the fans, Rice said it has been a "tough" decision to leave West Ham but "it has only ever been about my ambition to play at the very highest level of the game".

West Ham statement

West Ham also confirmed the 24-year-old was leaving the London Stadium in a British record deal, yet notably, there was not a single mention of Arsenal.

That’s despite it being well-documented that the two clubs have been involved in prolonged negotiations for weeks.

In a lengthy statement, Hammers' joint-chairman David Sullivan said: “I am sorry to see Declan leave us, but I believe that everyone at West Ham United should be very proud of the part we have played in his journey from the Academy of Football at Chadwell Heath to becoming the most valuable young player in English football."

Indeed, it has been widely reported that talks became dicey after Rice agreed personal terms, with Arsenal trying to stagger their payments and alter how the final deal looked.

As per the Mirror, this cost West Ham in the transfer market, much to Sullivan's displeasure. This could be a reason Arsenal were not mentioned in the Hammers' statement.

Indeed, West Ham’s reported frustration towards the north London rivals over the deal was already made evident via manager David Moyes this week.

Speaking ahead of his side's pre-season tour in Australia, Moyes bemoaned the lack of clarity over the situation and suggested it was stalling his transfer plans

"Until it’s done we can’t plan anything," he said. "Everybody knows the situation, we’re expecting something to happen. I think you (Sky Sports) said it was done two weeks ago and it’s still not done."

Featured Image Credit: Declan Rice via Instagram/Getty

Topics: Football, Declan Rice, Arsenal, West Ham United, Transfers, Premier League

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Man Utd could spend £300m in the summer after securing Champions League football

    It is expected to be a busy summer at Old Trafford.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Arsenal preparing shock bid to sign Man City player amid Pep Guardiola exit uncertainty

    Guardiola is expected to depart Man City at the end of the season following a decade in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Vinnie Jones names Man United star as Premier League's current 'tough' hardman

    Vinnie Jones revealed his definition for a 'hardman' and which current Premier League star fits the criteria.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Southampton star to leave club after spygate scandal in 'bitter blow'

    The first Southampton player is set to leave following the club's expulsion from the Championship play-offs.

    Football
  • How Arsenal could end up paying £105 million for Declan Rice
  • Arsenal club presenter 'confirms' Declan Rice signing as West Ham star 'spotted' at airport
  • Major breakthrough in Declan Rice transfer saga as Arsenal and West Ham 'reach compromise'
  • "I'm told..." - Fabrizio Romano on rumours West Ham may 'walk away' from Declan Rice talks with Arsenal