Some Of The Replies On Social Media When Sadio Mane Signed For Liverpool Are Priceless
| Last updated
It will go down as one of the club's greatest ever signings. Back in June 2016, it was confirmed that Liverpool had agreed a £30 million deal with Southampton for Senegal international Sadio Mane.
After months of speculation surrounding his future at St Mary's, the highly-rated forward snubbed a move to Manchester United in favour of joining Jurgen Klopp at Anfield. The rest, as they say, is history.
The 30-year-old scored 120 goals in 269 appearances for Liverpool and, in a trophy-laden spell in Merseyside, he lifted the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup, amongst other silverware.
That being said, some were far from impressed with Mane's arrival in the summer of 2016. In fact, some took to social media to mock the signing.
BREAKING: PRESS ASSOCIATION: @LFC agree £30m fee with @SouthamptonFC for forward Sadio Mane #SSNHQ pic.twitter.com/YfJ8Tzy5HM— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) June 26, 2016
As you can see in the above post, Sky Sports confirmed that a £30 million fee had been agreed between the Premier League clubs for Mane, who scored 17 goals in all competitions for club and country during the 2015/16 campaign.
One Twitter user wrote: "If he's worth £30m then Jonathan Walters is worth £90m," before commenting three years later: "Knew this was going to come back and bite me!"
A second commented on the above post saying: "Yayyyyy another shit Southampton player. Should cement a top 10 finish no problem."
A third wrote: "Lmao mkhitaryan is going to United for the same price."
Days later, Manchester United completed the signing of Henrikh Mkhitaryan from Borussia Dortmund in a reported £26.3 million deal and at the time, many thought that was a better piece of business.
poor mans serge Gnabry— Cal (@CalGoai) June 26, 2016
They might as well sign Southamptons whole squad. They've already signed most of them— Lucy Morris 🏴 (@LucyMorris91) June 26, 2016
These comments though pic.twitter.com/0RpxrFNsGi— Veldora (@DragoonOffside) September 16, 2019
Mane, meanwhile, has penned a three-year deal with Bundesliga side Bayern Munich after six years at Anfield.
In an emotional farewell interview with Liverpool's official channel, the 30-year-old forward explained why he felt it was the right time to move on and find a new challenge.
"There was a lot, a lot, of speculation but I’m not a confused boy in my head," he said.
"Obviously I know what I want and I know what is professional so for me, I was not even thinking about it because I was still a Liverpool player and we had really, really important games. For me that time was so, so important for myself and the team and the boys, and the supporters as well, and that is why I was really, really focused on that.
"I did not want [to make] any comments about it because winning the Champions League and the Premier League, that would have been fantastic for myself, for the club and for everybody. So that is why I was not even talking about or commentating about the speculation because it is part of football, it will always stay [this way]. It is normal."
Reflecting on six special years 🤩— Liverpool FC (@LFC) June 22, 2022
Liverpool legend Sadio Mane sat down with us for one last time to say goodbye, after completing his move to Bayern Munich.
Featured Image Credit: Liverpool FC/Twitter
Topics: Sadio Mane, Liverpool, Premier League, Bayern Munich