sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Major development in Man City's 115 charges hearing with four Premier League rivals targeting compensation
Home>Football>Premier League
Updated 17:02 13 Nov 2024 GMTPublished 16:36 13 Nov 2024 GMT

Major development in Man City's 115 charges hearing with four Premier League rivals targeting compensation

The four clubs have formally registered possible compensation claims pending the outcome of the hearing.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Four of Manchester City's biggest rivals have reportedly lodged legal notices reserving the right to seek compensation if the Premier League champions lose their ongoing 115 charges hearing.

City's so-called 'Trial of the Century' began on September 16 is thought to be nearing its conclusion, with a final verdict expected in early 2025.

The charges against the Premier League club mainly relate to a nine-year period from 2009 to 2018, with City accused of various rule breaches - all of which the club strenuously deny.

City have been accused of failing to provide accurate financial information, failing to provide accurate details for player and manager payments, breaching profit and sustainability rules (PSR), failing to comply with UEFA regulations including financial fair play (FFP) and failing to cooperate with Premier League investigations.

Advert

City stated before the start of the hearing that they had "irrefutable evidence" to support their defence and were looking "forward to this matter being put to rest once and for all".

Several punishments for City, should they be found guilty of all charges, have been suggested – including fines, points deductions and even expulsion from the Premier League.

Meanwhile, The Telegraph has claimed the Premier League champions are in danger of being thrown out of other competitions, including the FA Cup and Carabao Cup, if the independent commission overseeing the hearing rules against the club.

Rival clubs could also take legal action against City, with four of English football's biggest sides reserving the right to seek compensation.

A source has told The Times that Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur have formally registered possible compensation claims via arbitration.

The compensation notices were served after the clubs were 'advised by lawyers there was a potential six-year statute of limitations period' for claims.

This deadline stems from November 5, 2018 - the date when German publication Der Spiegel first published the 'Football Leaks' documents - prompting the investigation into City's alleged rule breaches.

All four clubs declined to comment when contacted by The Times.

City's 115 charges hearing is ongoing (Image: Getty)
City's 115 charges hearing is ongoing (Image: Getty)

City manager Pep Guardiola has previously hit out at the club's biggest rivals and accused them of wanting the club to be punished before even seeing the outcome of the hearing.

After La Liga president Javier Tebas claimed City's rivals wanted to see them sanctioned, Guardiola said in September: "Maybe he's right.

"For the fact that all the Premier League teams want us to be sanctioned, that is for sure.

"I agree with Tebas for the first time, and hopefully the last. I am pretty sure I agree with that. That's why I say to Mr Tebas and the Premier League teams: wait for the independent panel.

"Justice is there in a modern democracy so yeah, wait for the decision, it's not more complicated than that. But I don't know if he is a lawyer or the rest of the Premier League teams are lawyers so what I ask for is that – wait, it happened with UEFA.

"We believe that we have not done anything wrong so we go to an independent panel and we are going to wait."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Manchester City, Premier League, FFP, Arsenal, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
11 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    "Caught up in all of this chaos" - Southampton player speaks out after club is kicked out of play-off final

    Southampton's appeal was unsuccessful, with Middlesbrough taking their place in Saturday's Championship play-off final after spygate.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Man City exodus continues amid Pep Guardiola rumours as another player put up for sale

    There could be a raft of exits at Manchester City this summer, with news that Pep Guardiola will depart after a decade.

    Football
  • Getty
    11 hours ago

    Middlesbrough lawyer speaks out after Southampton expelled from Championship play-offs

    Southampton have been kicked out of this season's EFL play-offs, with Middlesbrough reinstated in their place to take on Hull in the final.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    12 hours ago

    Hull City's response to finding out Southampton have been thrown out of play-offs

    Hull City's response to discovering Southampton have been thrown out of the Championship playoffs meaning they will now face Middlesbrough.

    Football
  • Lip reader reveals what Pep Guardiola REALLY said to Jan Paul van Hecke in heated exchange after Brighton vs Man City
  • Major development in Man City's 115 Premier League charges hearing with date for verdict sooner than expected
  • Premier League give clearest hint yet on when hearing for Man City's 115 charges will happen
  • Government 'request' over Man City's 115 charges case emerges amid hearing into alleged FFP breaches