sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Paul Merson Feels 'Sorry' For Harry Maguire. 'I Don't Think They Play To His Strengths'
Home>Football
Published 12:58 20 Feb 2022 GMT

Paul Merson Feels 'Sorry' For Harry Maguire. 'I Don't Think They Play To His Strengths'

The Manchester United defender has come under criticism this season.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Paul Merson says Harry Maguire's teammates at Manchester United are "letting him down" because he needs more protection.

The England international has been criticised throughout the season for a number of poor performances.

Last week, he was at fault for Burnley's equaliser after allowing new signing Wout Weghorst to turn and assist Jay Rodriguez, and days later, the centre-back struggled to deal with the pace and physicality of Che Adams and Armando Broja against Southampton.

Image credit: Alamy
Image credit: Alamy

Advert

Maguire has certainly had his critics but former Arsenal midfielder Paul Merson sympathises with the United captain. "I feel sorry for Harry Maguire, I don't think they play to his strengths," he told Sky Sports.

"The players on the pitch are letting him down, he needs more protection.

"I know people say 'oh he's £80m' but I don't care - you get someone running at you on a consistent basis and it's a big old pitch Old Trafford, you don't want to be coming out."

Merson went on to criticise those sitting in front of Maguire in midfield. He added: "Harry Maguire, you know I said from day one, I thought it would be a little bit of a struggle playing on the half-way line.

"I thought he's not blessed with a lot of pace but at the end of the day he still has to get protection. I don't care who you are as a centre-half, their holding players don't sit as the sitters, they're all over the place.

"They're having a shot on the edge of the box, over on the left, right, you're a holding midfield player you sit in front and protect the back four.

"I don't care if you're the best centre-half in the world, if you keep getting run at and there's a lot of space in the channels you're going to have a hard time."

Image credit: Alamy
Image credit: Alamy

In regards to the "day one" comments made this week, Merson criticised Manchester United's decision to spend £80 million on the defender, weeks after Maguire joined the ranks at Old Trafford.

"Maguire for £80 million is ridiculous at the highest level," he stated on Gillette Soccer Saturday back in 2019.

"You have to remember he ripped it up for England in a three. And when you play in a three at the back, you do that for one reason only - the defenders are not good enough and you do not trust them. He done well at England.

"But you have to remember when he plays for Leicester, they play, they drop back and defend on the edge of their box, there is no space behind. The ball comes in the middle, he heads it out, he comes out running with the ball.

"He kicks off now with Man Utd and you are on the halfway line and all of a sudden you are playing against Arsenal and you are on the halfway line and balls are going over the top for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and for Man City for Sergio Aguero and it is pace, pace, pace."

Merson also said back in August that United duo Harry Maguire and Raphael Varane could forge a partnership reminiscent of the one between Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand.

The former Portsmouth midfielder went on to hail Varane as the "signing of the summer in the Premier League" and claimed that the Frenchman could transform United into title contenders.

Speaking in his column for The Daily Star, Merson wrote: "Raphael Varane will turn Manchester United into title contenders -- he's the signing of the summer in the Premier League.

"I think it's as tight as it's ever been this season and there's four teams who could win the league.

"United weren't one of them but Varane changes that. I think that's a major signing. With all the class and experience he brings with him from Real Madrid, I think he's going to have a massive impact."

Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports/Alamy

Topics: Paul Merson, Harry Maguire, Manchester United

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

16 mins ago
19 mins ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    16 mins ago

    Harry Maguire left 'shocked' by England World Cup snub as Thomas Tuchel 'strongly considers' surprise call up

    Tuchel will name his 26-man England squad on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty
    19 mins ago

    Xabi Alonso's response when asked about future of three Chelsea players on live TV

    New Chelsea boss Xabi Alonso discussed the situation of three players during an impromptu interview on live TV.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Man Utd could spend £300m in the summer after securing Champions League football

    It is expected to be a busy summer at Old Trafford.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Arsenal preparing shock bid to sign Man City player amid Pep Guardiola exit uncertainty

    Guardiola is expected to depart Man City at the end of the season following a decade in charge.

    Football
  • Harry Maguire Opens Up on the Real Reason He Changed His Name at 18
  • Paul Merson Apologised to Two Premier League Stars for Soccer Saturday Comments
  • Paul Scholes Holds Nothing Back on Luke Shaw and Harry Maguire in Brutally Honest Interview
  • Harry Maguire Becomes First Man Utd Player to Comment on Ruben Amorim Sacking