To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

N'Golo Kante will miss the 2022 World Cup in Qatar

Jack Kenmare

Published 
| Last updated 

N'Golo Kante will miss the 2022 World Cup in Qatar

N'Golo Kante is set to miss this winter's World Cup in Qatar.

The 31-year-old France international, who is often one of the first names on Didier Deschamps' team sheet, has been ruled out for around three months after picking up a fresh setback in Chelsea training, according to The Athletic.

After returning to action last week following a hamstring injury, it looked promising for Kante.

Loading…

But Chelsea boss Graham Potter has confirmed it is "not good news" for the Frenchman, who will see a consultant this weekend about the severity of the injury.

“He’s due to see a consultant at the weekend," Potter said on Friday. "It’s a setback, it’s not good news, but I can’t give you anything more at this stage.

“Historically there are things which have happened which is a concern, so we need to get to the bottom of that.

“It’s a setback at this stage of this rehab which is worrying, but all we can do is get the right diagnosis, get the right consultation, and try and help him get back to full fitness and enjoying his football.”

Kante hasn't featured for the Premier League side since August, where he picked up a knock against Spurs.

Image credit: Alamy
Image credit: Alamy

France manager Didier Deschamps will be devastated by the news surrounding Kante's availability.

Last year, he named Kante as the first name on his team sheet after he played a key role in both their World Cup-winning campaign in 2018 and last summer's European Championship.

“The midfielder works in the shadows," Deschamps told El Pais in June 2021. "He is not given media attention because he is not 'decisive'. From time to time, lights get shone on them. That is the case for Kante now. 

"He is above all the first player that his team-mates pick for their teams in training. And he is the first name that a coach, a national team manager, notes down when he is deciding his starting XI.”

In addition to The Athletic's report on Kante's injury, French publication L'Equipe also confirm Kante will not take part in this winter's World Cup.

Deschamps will announce his official squad list for the tournament on November 9.

Les Bleus will come up against Australia in their World Cup opener on November 22 before facing Denmark and Tunisia in Group D.

Image credit: Alamy
Image credit: Alamy

Do you think France can defend their title without N'Golo Kante?

Let us know in the comments.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: NGolo Kante, France, Football World Cup

Jack Kenmare
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

How Chelsea have managed to comply with FFP rules despite potential £300m-plus January transfer spending spree

an hour ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

BREAKING: Chelsea make British record transfer offer for Enzo Fernandez

4 hours ago