• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Lionel Messi denied pitch change request by MLS rival ahead of Inter Miami fixture

Home> Football> MLS

Published 13:24 30 Jul 2023 GMT+1

Lionel Messi denied pitch change request by MLS rival ahead of Inter Miami fixture

He won't be happy.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Lionel Messi’s request to not play on an artificial pitch while in the MLS has seemingly been denied.

The seven-time Ballon d’Or winner has made quite the impact in his first two Inter Miami outings. Messi netted a match-winning stoppage-time free kick on his debut against Cruz Azul, before claiming a brace and an assist in a 4-0 win over Atlanta United.

And some of the 36-year-old’s MLS rivals are refusing to give the player any potential advantage moving forward.

Indeed, one MLS club is refusing to install grass at their stadium, despite Messi’s alleged reluctance to play on artificial turf. A school of thought argues that artificial surfaces have more traction than grass and in turn, lead to more injuries.

Advert

Six MLS sides currently play on a synthetic surface, but it had been mooted by the league’s chief, Don Garber, that teams could make adjustments ahead of the Argentine’s arrival.

However, the hierarchy at Charlotte FC are resisting any calls for grass to be installed at the Bank of America Stadium ahead of their October 21 match against Miami.

Speaking to The Charlotte Observer a spokesperson for the club confirmed the decision to stick to an artificial surface, despite grass having temporarily been installed for an exhibition match versus Premier League side Chelsea, as well as two USMNT clashes.

The spokesperson said: "All of our Major League Soccer matches are scheduled to be played on turf. There is no plan to change to natural grass."

MLS commissioner Garber previously told The Athletic that he expected clubs to potentially make some adjustments to allow for Messi’s demands.

He stated: "That’s going to be the decision of every club when they do travel to those stadiums that don’t have natural grass.

"My expectations are that that’s what they will do, but there’s a lot of work that needs to be done to figure all of that out. MLS promotes a lot of international games and we have been able to bring natural grass into those stadiums, but we’ve never done that for a regular season game."

Before the season’s end, Miami are also due to play Atlanta at their Mercedes-Benz Stadium on September 16, which has an artificial surface installed.

Before the All-Stars game against Arsenal earlier this month, Atlanta president and CEO Garth Lagerwey also seemingly refused to budge on the issue and dismissed suggestions artificial pitches were unsafe.

When asked about the surface, he said via the Mirror: "You can ask [Inter Miami coach Tata Martino], he is familiar with the quality of our turf. He can explain to his players how good and safe it is to play at our stadium."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Football, Inter Miami, MLS, Lionel Messi

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

13 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty
    13 mins ago

    Man Utd and Chelsea issue emphatic response to shock Jurgen Klopp claim

    The former Liverpool head coach has been without a managerial role since leaving the 20-time Premier League champions in May 2024.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Endrick tipped to complete Premier League move after stunning Lyon turnaround

    Endrick joined Lyon on loan from Real Madrid last month.

    Football
  • The United Strand
    2 hours ago

    The United Strand issues new update after reaching 500 days without haircut

    The viral Manchester United fan hasn't cut his hair since starting the challenge in October 2024.

    Football
  • talkSPORT/YouTube
    2 hours ago

    Jeff Stelling's instant response after confirming break from talkSPORT on air

    The broadcaster confirmed that the host would be taking a step back from coverage in a now-deleted post.

    Football
  • Wild scenes as Lionel Messi mobbed by fans after leaving store in Miami
  • Lionel Messi gave teammate free tickets to his Inter Miami unveiling
  • Lionel Messi enters the pitch for Inter Miami to an absolutely thunderous reaction
  • Lionel Messi has new 'best friend' at Inter Miami as training footage released