To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert

Manchester United Manager Ralf Rangnick Hits Back At Jesse Lingard After Defeat To Middlesbrough

Published 
| Last updated 

Manchester United Manager Ralf Rangnick Hits Back At Jesse Lingard After Defeat To Middlesbrough

Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick has confirmed he wanted Jesse Lingard in the squad to face Middlesbrough in the FA Cup

Earlier this week, United's interim boss said Lingard had requested time off to clear his mind. "Jesse asked if we could give him a couple of days off to clear his mind," the German said. "He will be back in training on Monday and part of the whole squad.”

But shortly after making those comments, the England international disputed the claims by saying his 'headspace was clear'.

Lingard has spent much of the season on the bench. Image: Alamy
Lingard has spent much of the season on the bench. Image: Alamy
Advert

In a post on his official Twitter account, the midfielder wrote: "The club advised me to have time off due to personal reasons! But my headspace is clear and I’ll always be professional when called upon and give 100 percent."

The Manchester Evening News claim that during a chat with Lingard, football director John Murtough made a suggestion to Lingard that he take more time off.

After the full-time whistle against Middlesbrough, an insistent Rangnick confirmed that he wasn't responsible for Lingard taking a break ahead of Friday's defeat in the FA Cup.

Advert

"We were one outfield player less on the team sheet, so why would I have allowed him [Lingard] to have four or five days off?” he said.

“I would have loved to have had him in the squad."

Rangnick's honesty has impressed fans but there's still work to be done on the pitch. Image: Alamy
Rangnick's honesty has impressed fans but there's still work to be done on the pitch. Image: Alamy

The 29-year-old was heavily linked with a move in the January transfer window, with Newcastle and West Ham interested in his signature, but a move failed to materialise.

Advert

Former United midfielder Roy Keane believes Lingard made a mistake in not leaving Old Trafford last summer.

“He should have gone last summer. End of story," Keane said on ITV ahead of the club's FA Cup clash against Middlesbrough.

“He’s had his chance, he went out and showed what he’s about.

"He’s a good player, went to West Ham hit the ground running having not played much football but people get bogged on players’ contract if they want to leave on a free, you have to play the games.

Advert

Keane added: “He can complain all he wants, obviously it’s not ideal between the club and Jesse at the moment.

“Last summer was his opportunity he should’ve took it, if he had the chance and I’m sure he might say there wasn’t many offers on the table, but he had the opportunity last summer that was his chance.

“Because at the moment he’s just writing the season off and he can’t afford to do that if he has plans on getting back into the England setup.

Advert

“But having said that, there’s an important few months coming up for United, stranger things have happened if he can come back in he’s shown before that he’s got quality.”

Featured Image Credit: Alamy/Twitter

Topics: Manchester United, Jesse Lingard, Ralf Rangnick, FA Cup

Jack Kenmare
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

Chelsea fan 'felt so sorry' for Raheem Sterling over moment against Everton, other supporters agree

7 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Barcelona 'set up holdings company with own money in order to inflate value of sales'

2 days ago