sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Man Utd star Casemiro at risk of another suspension after Southampton red card
Home>Football
Published 16:27 14 Mar 2023 GMT

Man Utd star Casemiro at risk of another suspension after Southampton red card

Man Utd star Casemiro is at risk of another suspension.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Manchester United star Casemiro is at risk of another suspension - just days after he was shown a red card against Southampton.

The Brazilian was given his marching orders for a high tackle on Saints midfielder Carlos Alcaraz during the 0-0 draw between the two sides at Old Trafford on Sunday.

He was initially booked by referee Anthony Taylor, before the decision was changed to a red card after VAR review. The club have confirmed they will not appeal.

Casemiro will now miss the next four matches, having already been shown a red card during United's 2-1 win over Crystal Palace last month.

Advert

The ban will cover his side's upcoming FA Cup quarter-final against Fulham and Premier League fixtures against Newcastle, Brentford and Everton.

But he will be available for the second leg of their Europa League last 16 tie against Real Betis on Thursday.

Casemiro in danger of fresh suspension

Casemiro could be in line for another suspension should he receive a yellow card against Betis.

That is because he has already picked up two yellow cards in the Europa League this season, with the third incurring an automatic one-match ban.

The yellow card amnesty - where all bookings are wiped - is introduced prior to the quarter-finals, meaning Casemiro will miss the first leg of United's last eight tie should they make it through and he receives a yellow card against Betis on Thursday.

Therefore, if the Brazilian is booked, he will miss the following five fixtures for the Red Devils.

He is the only United player to have been sent off in a Premier League fixture since November 2021 - which spans 52 games.

Speaking about the decision after the game, manager Erik ten Hag said (quotes via United's official website): "It is inconsistent. The referees are coming at the start of the season with a policy: We are the Premier League, we want intensity, and Casemiro, across European games, over 500, he never had a red card but now, twice.

"He plays tough but he's fair. Same as against Crystal Palace, so it's very debatable. When you freeze it [Sunday's challenge], it looks bad.

"Everyone who knows something about football, knows what is bad, what is fair and Casemiro is a fair player. Tough, but fair, and it shows. Over 500 games in big leagues and he was never sent off. He's disappointed."

Featured Image Credit: Alamy / Sportimage/Alamy Live News / REUTERS/Phil Noble

Topics: Manchester United, Premier League, Casemiro, Erik Ten Hag, FA Cup

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Final Champions League spot could be decided by play-off as unthinkable scenario unfolds

    This has never happened before, but it's genuinely possible with a game left to play in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Declan Rice has the coldest response to Arsenal’s first Premier League title win in 22 years

    Arsenal are the 2026 Premier League champions and Rice made sure to celebrate.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    'I've studied Pep for a while' - Micah Richards reacts to Pep Guardiola's response to exit rumours

    Richards also said Manchester City's players went against the club's ethos as they surrendered the Premier League title to Arsenal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola responds to rumours he will leave Manchester City after Premier League title loss

    The Manchester City boss has finally broken his silence on the rumours.

    Football
  • 'He was mistaken about me' - Casemiro finally addresses how he was treated by Ruben Amorim at Man Utd
  • Man Utd ready to 'break barrier' and sign dream Casemiro replacement with green light given for deal
  • Casemiro's name is purposefully spelt wrong on the back of his Man Utd shirt
  • Man Utd insider drops bombshell claiming popular player is in 'state of flux' at club