sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Manchester United's official account posts footage of Cristiano Ronaldo being booed
Home>Football
Updated 19:37 7 Aug 2022 GMT+1Published 19:30 7 Aug 2022 GMT+1

Manchester United's official account posts footage of Cristiano Ronaldo being booed

Cristiano Ronaldo was booed by some Manchester United fans as he made his way out onto the Old Trafford pitch.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Manchester United posted footage of Cristiano Ronaldo being booed by his own fans prior to the 2-1 loss to Brighton at Old Trafford.

Ronaldo, started as a substitute in Erik ten Hag's first game in charge, which ended in defeat after a first-half brace from Pascal Gross.

The 37-year-old told the club earlier this summer he wishes to leave due to his desire to play in the Champions League but no potential suitors have emerged and he was back in the side for the friendly against Rayo Vallecano last week.

However, he did anger Ten Hag by leaving the game at half-time without permission from the club and the Dutchman said the actions of Ronaldo and other players "unacceptable".

On Sunday afternoon Ronaldo came off the bench as United attempted to try and turn around the result in the second half.

Ten Hag is keen to bolster his squad as the uncertainty surrounding Cristiano Ronaldo's future continues (Image: Alamy)
Ten Hag is keen to bolster his squad as the uncertainty surrounding Cristiano Ronaldo's future continues (Image: Alamy)

There were plenty of jeers from the disgruntled home fans - and some of it came before the game when Ronaldo made his way out to the pitch.

United posted a clip of the five-time Ballon d'Or winner walking out of the tunnel to warm up with the rest of the substitutes, but boos aimed at Ronaldo were audible.

United's all-time goalscorer Wayne Rooney has said his former club should let Ronaldo leave this summer, an opinion shared by long-time captain Gary Neville.

However, Roy Keane, another man who wore the armband for the Red Devils, believes the club cannot replace him due to a lack of options in attack.

"You can't let Ronaldo go out the door and think Martial is going to be the answer, Martial isn't the answer," Keane said on Sky Sports.

"He's had a decent pre-season? Big deal.

"They haven't got enough options at this moment in time. That might change in the next few weeks but from a footballing point of view, you just have to hold on to Ronaldo.

"You can't let him go when you haven't got the back-up behind it."

Featured Image Credit: Image: Manchester United

Topics: Manchester United, Premier League, Cristiano Ronaldo, Brighton And Hove Albion, Erik Ten Hag

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
7 hours ago
9 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Carlo Ancelotti announces 26-man Brazil World Cup squad as Neymar call made

    Brazil take on Morocco in their opening group match on June 13.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa as successor named

    Guardiola is expected to leave City after 10 seasons in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    9 hours ago

    Croatia announce 26-man World Cup squad as decisions made on Modric and Gvardiol

    The European nation begin their tournament against England on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    9 hours ago

    Jamie Carragher reignites Mo Salah feud branding Liverpool man selfish live on MNF

    Salah demanded a return to 'heavy metal football' in an apparent parting swipe at Arne Slot

    Football