To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

"I'll say it again" - Paul Merson says Liverpool have made a major transfer mistake this summer

Alfie Culshaw

Published 
| Last updated 

"I'll say it again" - Paul Merson says Liverpool have made a major transfer mistake this summer

Paul Merson believes Liverpool have made a huge mistake letting Sadio Mane leave the club for Bayern Munich.

Mane completed his move to the German giants earlier this summer in a deal that could rise to £35 million with add-ons. 

This move brought to an end the Senegalese international’s six year spell at Anfield, where he managed 269 appearances and scored 120 goals.

The former Southampton man was a key part of Jurgen Klopp’s successful side that lifted the Premier League and Champions League.

Luis Diaz was signed in January from Porto for £37.5m, and he can now essentially replace Mane in the Reds’ squad.

The Columbian has settled in quickly on Merseyside, and prevented Klopp’s team from losing at home to Crystal Palace on Monday night with a wonderful solo goal. 

This result came after Liverpool drew with Fulham in their opening league fixture at Craven Cottage.

The two games left the North West side four points off of title rivals Manchester City at this early stage.

Ahead of tonight's crucial encounter with Manchester United at Old Trafford, Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson wrote on his thoughts about Liverpool’s tough start and once again described the loss of Mane as a mistake.


“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- Sadio Mane is a huge loss for Liverpool,” the former Arsenal player wrote on Sportskeeda. “Why sell him for £30 million when you could’ve kept him around for a year and once again fought on all fronts, like they did last Premier League season?”

While Liverpool will without doubt be lamenting the loss of Mane’s quality, the Reds’ hierarchy will argue that they had to accept Bayern’s offer given the player’s contractual situation.

The 30-year-old had just 12 months remaining on his deal so the club decided to take the money rather than lose him for free in the summer of 2023.

It’s also clear that with the signings of Diaz and 23-year-old Darwin Nunez, Klopp is looking to lower the age profile of one of the Premier League’s oldest squads as he attempts to build the next iteration of this historic club.

Mane may be one of the first of this successful team to be out the door, but more of the elder statesmen should be expected to leave Merseyside in upcoming transfer windows. 

Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports

Topics: Paul Merson, Liverpool, Sadio Mane, Liverpool Transfer News & Rumours

Alfie Culshaw
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

Granit Xhaka rattles entire Serbia bench by 'grabbing his nuts' in Switzerland win

8 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

4K image proves controversial Japan goal vs Spain was right to stand

a day ago