sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Liverpool sporting director target Jorg Schmadtke once made £150m transfer mistake that will worry fans
Home>Football
Published 15:21 8 May 2023 GMT+1

Liverpool sporting director target Jorg Schmadtke once made £150m transfer mistake that will worry fans

He's admitted it was an error.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

With the summer transfer window opening in just over a month, one of the big questions around Liverpool's plans could be about to be answered.

As things stand, the Merseyside club face going into the window without a permanent sporting director, with Julian Ward set to step down from the role at the end of the season.

Ward stunned the club in November when he announced his intention to leave, just one year after replacing Michael Edwards in the role.

His imminent departure has been an unwanted distraction for the club ahead of a hugely important transfer window, with Jurgen Klopp keen to make a number of key signings after a disappointing campaign.

Advert

Jorg Schmadtke has now emerged as the surprise leading candidate to succeed Ward, with Liverpool currently in talks with the German.

Schmadtke left Wolfsburg in February after more than four years as the club’s sporting director, having held similar roles at Hannover and Cologne.

The 59-year-old, who has developed a reputation for identifying bargain signings, has been described as an 'ally' of Klopp.

But his emergence as favourite to replace Ward is likely to divide opinion, with the German also guilty of major errors in the transfer market.

Schmadtke's Osimhen error

Shortly after taking over at Wolfsburg in 2018, he sanctioned the loan and eventual €3.5m (£3m) sale of Nigerian striker Victor Osimhen to RSC Charleroi.

Only four weeks later, the Belgium club sold Osimhen to Lille for €22m (£19.2m).

Osimhen has since moved on to Napoli, where has become of the most highly-rated strikers in world football.

The Nigerian international has scored 28 goals in all competitions, including an equaliser in Thursday's 1-1 draw with Udinese, to help Napoli win their first Serie A title in 33 years.

Osimhen is now being linked with a number of top clubs in Europe, including Manchester United – who have placed the striker at the top of their transfer list along with Tottenham forward Harry Kane.

Napoli are reluctant to sell Osimhen and have slapped a £150m price tag on the striker, according to talkSPORT.

Speaking about his decision to sell Osimhen in 2018, Schmadtke told Kicker: "It wasn’t a good move, in hindsight.

"When I came, he was limping and running in circles. I was told that the strikers we had weren’t good enough."

Liverpool fans will hope that if Schmadtke is indeed given the sporting director job at Anfield, mistakes like the Osimhen sale are a thing of the past.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Liverpool, Football, Premier League, Victor Osimhen

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Final Champions League spot could be decided by play-off as unthinkable scenario unfolds

    This has never happened before, but it's genuinely possible with a game left to play in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Declan Rice has the coldest response to Arsenal’s first Premier League title win in 22 years

    Arsenal are the 2026 Premier League champions and Rice made sure to celebrate.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    'I've studied Pep for a while' - Micah Richards reacts to Pep Guardiola's response to exit rumours

    Richards also said Manchester City's players went against the club's ethos as they surrendered the Premier League title to Arsenal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola responds to rumours he will leave Manchester City after Premier League title loss

    The Manchester City boss has finally broken his silence on the rumours.

    Football
  • Liverpool set for behind-the-scenes changes as transfer plans made to support Alexander Isak
  • Victor Osimhen in tears after seeing tifo made by Galatasaray fans before Liverpool game
  • Liverpool involved in 'three-player swap deal' to sign Alexander Isak alternative that would officially win the transfer window
  • Liverpool express major worry over £80m summer target that fans are desperate for