sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Xabi Alonso issues update on future as Jurgen Klopp's agent speaks out amid Real Madrid interest
Home>Football>La Liga>Real Madrid
Updated 17:09 18 Apr 2025 GMT+1Published 17:06 18 Apr 2025 GMT+1

Xabi Alonso issues update on future as Jurgen Klopp's agent speaks out amid Real Madrid interest

The Bayern Leverkusen boss has been heavily linked with replacing Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid for some time.

Luke Davies

Luke Davies

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Xabi Alonso has issued an update about his future as Jurgen Klopp’s agent spoke out after reports linking him with the Real Madrid head coach role.

Alonso, 43, and Klopp, 57, are two of the names linked with potentially replacing Carlo Ancelotti as head coach of Real Madrid.

Los Blancos crashed out of the Champions League at the quarter-final stage after a 2-1 (5-1 on aggregate) defeat against Arsenal on Wednesday, meaning Ancelotti, 65, is under scrutiny.

On Thursday (August 17), Sky Sports reported that the Italian is “expected to leave the club” following the Copa del Rey final against Barcelona in Seville on April 26 – although this information has not been confirmed by Real Madrid.

Advert

Since then, several names have been mentioned; however, Klopp’s agent Marc Kosicke has seemingly ruled him out of the running.

Sky Germany’s Florian Plettenberg issued an update via X on Friday afternoon (April 18) and claimed Alonso was the favourite to take on the mantle at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"[There are] new rumours linking Jürgen Klopp with Real Madrid and Brazil,” wrote Plettenberg.

“His top agent, Marc Kosicke, told us for Sky: 'Jürgen is very happy with his new role as Head of Global Soccer at Red Bull’.”

And shortly before the news broke, Alonso spoke at a press conference ahead of Bayer Leverkusen’s clash against St Pauli in the Bundesliga on Sunday.

Xabi Alonso discussed his future (Credit:Getty)
Xabi Alonso discussed his future (Credit:Getty)

The Spaniard, who achieved a league and cup double in his first full season as a senior manager, was asked about his future.

"It's not a good time to discuss the future,” said Alonso, whose side sit six points behind league leaders Bayern Munich.

“We're at a very important moment in the season."

"I don't want to talk about speculation and rumours,” he added. “[I understand] that this is happening, but what's more important to me is what's happening right now."

And this is not the first time he has been linked with a move away from the German champions as Real, Liverpool and Bayern – Alonso played for all three clubs – were supposedly interested in the summer of 2024, before the Premier League side appointed Arne Slot while Bayern opted for Vincent Kompany as Ancelotti remained at Real after winning La Liga and the Champions League.

Featured Image Credit: Sky Germany

Topics: Xabi Alonso, Jurgen Klopp, Real Madrid, Carlo Ancelotti, Champions League, Football, Football Manager

Luke Davies
Luke Davies

Journalist with expertise covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@lukedaviesmedia

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Xabi Alonso chooses his next club amid interest from Chelsea and Liverpool
  • David Ornstein drops Xabi Alonso bombshell amid Chelsea and Liverpool links
  • Xabi Alonso breaks Carlo Ancelotti tradition during first Real Madrid La Liga match and it marks a new era
  • Real Madrid rocked by shock departure less than 48 hours after Xabi Alonso confirmed as new manager

Choose your content:

2 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    2 mins ago

    A list of players who have been left out of England's World Cup squad by the ruthless Thomas Tuchel

    Tuchel has made some difficult phone calls over the past 48 hours.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Phil Foden and Cole Palmer to be left out of England's 26-man World Cup squad alongside three other big names

    Thomas Tuchel has made some big calls.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Thomas Tuchel makes Kobbie Mainoo decision ahead of squad announcement as Adam Wharton spot 'in doubt'

    The England boss has been cutthroat in his squad, as one midfielder is set to miss out

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Next Southampton manager odds emerge as shock candidate linked with job after emergency meeting

    Tonda Eckert is under pressure to keep his job at Southampton after accepting responsibility over the spygate scandal.

    Football