sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Rodrygo 'banned' from speaking about Lionel Messi incident after 'coward' comment
Home>Football>La Liga>Real Madrid
Updated 12:22 1 Dec 2023 GMTPublished 12:18 1 Dec 2023 GMT

Rodrygo 'banned' from speaking about Lionel Messi incident after 'coward' comment

They clashed while on international duty.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Real Madrid star Rodrygo has joked he has been banned from speaking about Lionel Messi following a confrontation with the Argentine superstar on international duty.

Rodrygo, 22, clashed with Messi, 36, during Brazil's heated World Cup qualifier against Argentina earlier this month.

The world champions ran out 1-0 winners at the Maracana thanks to Nicolas Otamendi's header in the second-half, but the game was marred by incidents on and off the pitch.

Crowd trouble ahead of kick-off forced the fixture being delayed by half an hour after rival fans and police clashed inside the stadium.

Advert

Both sets of players attempted to calm the situation but after Emiliano Martinez pleaded with police to stop the violence, Lionel Messi led his players down the tunnel.

The two teams later re-emerged from their dressing rooms before Rodrygo reportedly aimed a dig at the Argentina players.

Reports in Brazil claimed he said: "You are acting like cowards, don't you want to play the game?"

To which Messi was reported to have replied: "We are the world champions, how are we cowards? Keep your mouth, watch your mouth."

Rodrygo's father later took to Instagram to call out Messi, posting: "Is anyone surprised. The saint that doesn't mess with anyone."

Rodrgyo was asked about the incident following Real Madrid's 4-2 win over Napoli in the Champions League on Wednesday night, but the Brazilian remained tight-lipped.

Messi and Rodrygo clashed on international duty (Image: Getty)
Messi and Rodrygo clashed on international duty (Image: Getty)

"I can't talk about that, Madrid won't let me," he joked to reporters.

Rodrgyo has impressed this season scoring eight goals and providing five assists in 19 games in all competitions for Real Madrid.

When asked about his recent upturn in form, Rodrygo added: "I can't explain the change, but I have to keep working.

"I worked when things weren't going well for me and now that they are going well, it's the same thing. You have to keep working.

"I want to continue on the good run and forget what happened."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Rodrygo, Brazil, Argentina, Lionel Messi, Real Madrid, Inter Miami, Football

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

6 mins ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    6 mins ago

    Lawyer reaches Man City 115 charges verdict after 'speaking to insiders'

    A football lawyer has suggested that life at Man City could take a turn for the worse with the 115 charges adding to the post-Guardiola woes

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Scotland announce 26-man squad for first World Cup in 28 years

    Scotland's squad for the World Cup has been confirmed.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    What Joao Pedro did for Brazil teammates who were picked in World Cup squad over him

    Joao Pedro was a surprise omission from Brazil's World Cup squad, with Neymar getting selected ahead of him.

    Football
  • Liverpool/Adidas
    3 hours ago

    Liverpool drop major transfer hint in new home kit launch

    Liverpool have released their new home kit

    Football
  • Lionel Messi Facing Backlash Over ‘Disgusting’ Comment During Inter Miami Bust-Up
  • Lionel Messi Faces Awkward Reunion With Player He Once 'Forced Out of Squad'
  • Lionel Messi makes first major decision as owner of UE Cornella
  • Lionel Messi refused to talk to team-mate for three months after on-pitch incident