
Jose Mourinho wants Manchester City midfielder Rodri to be his first signing as Real Madrid manager, according to reports, as the self-proclaimed 'Special One' prepares to take charge for a second spell.
After weeks of speculation, it was widely reported on Monday that Mourinho has agreed to return to Real Madrid on a two-year deal.
An announcement is expected after Los Blancos' final game of the season against Athletic Bilbao, according to Sky Sports, with his official unveiling pencilled in for next week.
It comes 13 years after he was sacked by the Spanish club.
Advert
Mourinho, meanwhile, will walk away from his job at Benfica after completing the Primeira Liga season unbeaten. They did, however, miss out on a place in the Champions League having finished third.
"My future should be decided this week," he told a news conference on Sunday.
"I have a proposal from Benfica. I don't have a proposal from Real Madrid. At the same time, I was saying that to hide that there is nothing, we cannot do that, there is something, but not with me directly."
"I need time, I need space, I need time to make my decision and this week I think is going to be very important," he added.
Mourinho has a difficult job on his hands. On the field, poor performances have led to another trophyless season. Off the field, their dressing room is fractured following fall-outs and heated altercations.
After such a disappointing campaign, many expect the club to make a statement of intent this summer, and Mourinho is already involved in planning for next season, according to Spanish publication Defensa Central.
In fact, Mourinho is 'pressuring people at the club' to make a move for Manchester City midfielder Rodri, who could be available for just €30 million (£26.1m).
The 29-year-old Spain international, who missed most of last season after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament, has continued to struggle with injury problems, but there is no denying his quality at full fitness.
Rodri has previously said he would like to make a return to Spain one day.
Pep Guardiola, meanwhile, has said he would not stand in Rodri's way if he wants a move to Madrid. "There is not one player that will turn down the chance to play for Madrid, he was born in Spain," he said in April.
"Always my wish is that Rodri could stay as long as possible in this club and because he's an incredible, top player, but the life of everyone is everyone's."
"The organisation of the club is above all of us. If one player is not happy they have to leave. Continue the same always if they are happy, and I think he is happy."
"If he is not happy just knock on the door of the sporting director, accept an offer according to his incredible quality and after that he doesn't belong to the club -- only himself," added Guardiola.

Rodri's deal at Manchester City will end in the summer of 2027 and City are keen on extending his stay. "I know what the club wants," added Guardiola. "They informed me what they want from Rodri -- it is to stay, stay, stay."
Fabrizio Romano provides update on Jose Mourinho to Real Madrid with verbal agreement in place
Taking to social media on Monday, transfer expert Fabrizio Romano delivered his classic "Here we go" catchphrase.
"Jose Mourinho back to Real Madrid. Here we go," he said. "The deal is done and agreed between Real Madrid and Jose Mourinho. Everything is in place after long negotiations, but never any doubt as Jose Mourinho always wanted to go back to Real Madrid.
"Now the agreement between the Special One and Real Madrid is done and closed. Just waiting for the final approval from the legal team on both sides, Jose Mourinho and Real Madrid, but the deal is in place.
"Mourinho is ready to go back to the Bernabeu. He is ready to help Real Madrid in a difficult moment in the club’s history and Mourinho has been super excited since the end of March to take this opportunity.
"In the next days he will travel to Madrid and complete his switch from Benfica to Real Madrid. Deal done and here we go."
Topics: Jose Mourinho, Real Madrid, Transfers