sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Newcastle discover when Sandro Tonali will play for them again as club release statement in response to FA ban
Home>Football>Football News
Updated 15:32 2 May 2024 GMT+1Published 15:10 2 May 2024 GMT+1

Newcastle discover when Sandro Tonali will play for them again as club release statement in response to FA ban

Newcastle star Sandro Tonali has been hit with a suspended betting ban and a fine by the independent FA Commission.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Newcastle star Sandro Tonali has been hit with a suspended betting ban and a fine by the independent FA commission.

Tonali is already midway through a 10 month ban, imposed in October, after being found guilty of breaching rules on gambling by the Italian Football Federation.

And as per an FA Report, the Italy international has now been hit with a fresh suspended two-month ban and fined £20,000 after admitting to breaching betting rules while under the jurisdiction of the English FA.

The FA report said Tonali admitted he had made “40 to 50” football bets which included “up to four” bets on Newcastle, all of which were on them to win.

Advert

The ban is fully suspended for the duration of the 2024/25 season.

That means the midfielder will be free to return to first team action for Newcastle on August 27, 2024, upon the conclusion of the original Italian FA charge.

Announcing the suspended ban, a Newcastle statement said: "Newcastle midfielder Sandro Tonali has been given a suspended two-month ban from competitive football by an independent Regulatory Commission after self- declaring breaches of FA Betting Rules.

"He has also been fined £20,000 and warned by the FA as to his future conduct.

"The banning period is fully suspended for the duration of the 2024/25 season, meaning he will be available to return to competitive football upon the conclusion of an existing ten-month sanction imposed by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) on 27 October 2023.

Tonali has been allowed to train for Newcastle during his ban (Getty)
Tonali has been allowed to train for Newcastle during his ban (Getty)

"Provided that he does not commit any further breach of the FA Betting Rules during the suspension period, Sandro will not serve any part of the two-month sanction.

"As acknowledged by the FA in the independent Regulatory Commission’s written reasons, the level of assistance Sandro has provided by self-referring and fully cooperating with a subsequent investigation is extraordinary and unprecedented.

"Sandro made full admissions as to his betting activity, and did so in circumstances where there was no other evidence to support misconduct proceedings.

"Sandro is continuing to follow a therapeutic plan and educational programme with the club's full support and will continue to train with his teammates."

Tonali’s agent Beppe Riso stated back in October that his client had been suffering from a “gambling illness”.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Sandro Tonali, Italy, Football

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

28 mins ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    28 mins ago

    Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa

    Guardiola is expected to leave City after nine seasons in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Croatia announce 26-man World Cup squad as decisions made on Modric and Gvardiol

    The European nation begin their tournament against England on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Jamie Carragher reignites Mo Salah feud branding Liverpool man selfish live on MNF

    Salah demanded a return to 'heavy metal football' in an apparent parting swipe at Arne Slot

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    PGMO reveal whether Man Utd 'handball' against Nottingham Forest was the wrong decision as update issued

    Bryan Mbeumo handball should have seen Man Utd goal disallowed, admits referees' body

    Football
  • Newcastle Fans Furious with Sandro Tonali After Seeing What He Did After FT
  • Sandro Tonali 'Swap Deal' Emerges With Premier League Rival
  • Premier League Giants Launch Late Bid For Sandro Tonali With Hours Left in Window
  • Sandro Tonali Transfer Saga Takes Twist as Two More Clubs Register Interest