sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Gary Neville explains why he turned down offers to interview at three different clubs, including Newcastle
Home>Football>Football News
Published 09:06 1 May 2024 GMT+1

Gary Neville explains why he turned down offers to interview at three different clubs, including Newcastle

The former Manchester United defender also said he was being lined up for the England job.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Gary Neville has explained why he turned down offers to interview at three different clubs, including Newcastle, after they made an approach during his time at Sky Sports.

The former Manchester United full-back is regarded by many as one of football's best pundits. In fact, he was recently named Britain's favourite pundit with 13.42% of the vote.

Neville made his debut on Monday Night Football at the start of the 2011/12 campaign, when he memorably stepped up to interview Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini after a 4-0 win against Swansea.

And he's flourished ever since alongside the likes of Jamie Carragher, Micah Richards and Roy Keane. But things could have been very different for the former England international.

Advert

Speaking on the latest episode of Stick To Football – brought to you by Sky Bet – Neville opened up on being invited to interview at Newcastle United, Middlesbrough and Derby in recent years.

He began: “I took the Valencia job purely because I knew the owner and I felt like I owed him something and I was loyal to him, he believed in me in terms of the business.

"I’ve been asked by Middlesbrough for an interview, Newcastle and Derby asked to speak to me, all in the previous three years I had been on Sky, and I said no to every offer because it wasn’t what I wanted to be.

“I had started my businesses and my media career, so I didn’t want to be a coach and I had said no to Newcastle, which came from someone at Sky who had a contact at Newcastle as they wanted to speak to me, which was the same with Middlesbrough, and I’m not saying that would have got me the job but it could have."

He added: “When I first came out of football, in those first two years on television, I knew every player, I knew football inside and out and I felt like I could communicate the game well, which is different now 10 years later as I’ve distanced myself from the game, but I didn’t want to be a manager and I didn’t want to be a coach, and I said no to Peter Lim [Valencia CF owner] the first time, but he said that he really wanted me to do it.

"I signed on a five-month contract, and I didn’t last that time because it became impossible for Peter, for me and for everyone.”

Neville went on to explain how his short spell in La Liga with Valencia taught him how to say no.

“By the time I was manager of Valencia, I had done my UEFA B license which was when I was 31," he added.

"I had done my UEFA A license at 34 whilst I was still at Manchester United, and I had done my UEFA Pro license at 37, so I was fully qualified and could sit on the bench for any team in Europe.

“I said at the time that if you do your coaching badges, it will help with your punditry and it does for a period because you’re talking about the game with 20 other coaches doing their badges. Despite doing the badges, I didn’t want to go into a managerial role because I was enjoying the media side.

“The lessons from Valencia were massive for me about saying no. At the time, I said yes to a couple things that came my way, and the one with Peter at Valencia was purely to do him a favour.”

Featured Image Credit: YouTube/The Overlap - Getty Images

Topics: Gary Neville, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Middlesbrough, Derby, Premier League, EFL Championship

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Gary Neville fumes at 'ridiculous' VAR decision in Man United vs Nottingham Forest
  • Gary Neville Explains Why He Got ‘Emotional’ After Mbeumo Goal vs Man City
  • Gary Neville Names Forgotten Brazilian Legend as the 'Best I Played Against'
  • Gary Neville risks Man Utd backlash with Benjamin Sesko comments after Everton winner

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Tottenham captain Cristian Romero will not be in attendance for final game against Everton

    Romero is being heavily criticised for his actions.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Harry Maguire's mum and brother slam Thomas Tuchel decision after England World Cup snub

    Maguire says he is "shocked" and "gutted" by Tuchel's call.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    A list of players who have been left out of England's World Cup squad by the ruthless Thomas Tuchel

    Tuchel is also being criticised for some of his selections.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Phil Foden and Cole Palmer to be left out of England's 26-man World Cup squad alongside three other big names

    Thomas Tuchel has made some big calls.

    Football