To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert
Advert
Advert

Sandro Tonali looked broken as he walked off the St James' Park pitch, it's sad to see

Jack Kenmare

Published 
| Last updated 

Sandro Tonali looked broken as he walked off the St James' Park pitch, it's sad to see

Newcastle United midfielder Sandro Tonali was visibly emotional as he walked off the St James' Park pitch following Saturday's Premier League clash against Crystal Palace.

The 23-year-old Italy international, who joined the Magpies in July for around £55 million, is being investigated by the Italian Prosecutor’s Office and Italian Football Federation in relation to illegal betting activity.

In fact, more than 40 other players are suspected of being involved in the scandal, according to reports.

After breaching betting regulations, Juventus midfielder Nicolo Fagioli has already been handed a 12 month ban – five of which are suspended – and fined £10,850.

Advert

And former Brescia and AC Milan man Tonali could face a lengthy ban if he is found to be in breach of Article 24 of Italy's sporting justice code.

Tonali was, however, given the green light to play for Newcastle after the international break and, with Eddie Howe's side 4-0 up against Crystal Palace, the Italian replaced Bruno Guimaraes in the 69th minute.

Thousands inside St James' Park showed their support for Tonali, who is said to be battling a gambling addiction.

Advert

And after what could be his final game for several months, the midfielder looked close to tears as he left the pitch alongside captain Kieran Trippier.

"Tonali looks like he’s crying here with Tripps' arm around him," said Newcastle fan Kendall Rowan.

"He’s broken the rules and will face the consequences but regardless this must be an exceptionally hard time for him and I’m so glad we and the club have shown him unwavering support."

Loading…

Advert

A banner of Tonali with the words 'Forza Tonali' was held up in the Gallowgate end throughout Saturday's game before Tonali was pushed to the front during their post-match lap of honour.

After the full-time whistle, Newcastle manager Eddie Howe said the "hardest part is ahead" for the midfielder.

“Let’s wait and see, but yes, I think the hardest part is ahead regardless of what happens," he said.

“Immediately, you get a lot of attention and people are talking about the situation. He’s had the love of the supporters today, but that’s difficult to maintain over a long period of time. Who knows what’s ahead?

Advert

“I just think it’s great for him to know he’s got the support, not just of the senior management at the football club and the manager, but also the support of the supporters and they’re the most important people.”

Tonali and Aston Villa player Nicolo Zaniolo were questioned by police in Italy last week amid an investigation into illegal betting.

Advert

SPORTbible are on WhatsApp! We've launched a dedicated news channel to send you the latest news, features and plenty more directly on WhatsApp and all you need to do to sign up is click through to our one-way broadcast channel here for 'SPORTbible News' to appear in the 'Updates' tab on your WhatsApp.

Featured Image Credit: X/@NUFC

Topics: Newcastle United, Sandro Tonali, Premier League, Kieran Trippier, Crystal Palace

Jack Kenmare
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

David Ornstein provides update on Mo Salah's Liverpool future amid "Saudi contract signed" claim

8 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Gerard Pique publicly shared bank statement to show what elite level footballer's pay slip looks like

2 days ago