sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Man Utd player axed from national team as manager says he's 'not good enough' and 'doesn't deserve it'
Home>Football>Football News>Man Utd
Updated 11:29 10 Mar 2025 GMTPublished 11:14 10 Mar 2025 GMT

Man Utd player axed from national team as manager says he's 'not good enough' and 'doesn't deserve it'

The player started during United's 1-1 draw against Arsenal in the Premier League on Sunday.

Luke Davies

Luke Davies

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A Manchester United player has been axed from his national team after the manager claimed he “doesn’t deserve” to be selected.

Man United played out a 1-1 draw against Arsenal in the Premier League at Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon.

The point saw United to 14th place in the league - going above Everton. Aside from Bruno Fernandes’ stunning first-half free-kick, Ruben Amorim’s side offered very little going forward.

Advert

The Gunners dominated possession, having 69 per cent of the ball as well as registering 17 shots with six of these finding the target compared to United’s 10 shots and six on target.

And United misfiring in the final third has been a theme of the 2024/25 campaign, with Joshua Zirkzee and Rasmus Hojlund scoring a combined five league goals.

As a result, Zirkzee, 23, has been left out of the Netherlands’ squad for their upcoming fixtures against Spain in the quarter-finals of the Nations League.

The forward had previously been included in Ronald Koeman’s last three squads.

Joshua Zirkzee has struggled to find form at Man Utd (Credit:Getty)
Joshua Zirkzee has struggled to find form at Man Utd (Credit:Getty)

Koeman, 61, gave his reasons for snubbing Zirkzee and claimed he doesn't think he's "good enough” when speaking to Dutch TV show Studio Voetbal.

“He wasn’t in the preliminary selection because I don’t think he’s good enough at the moment," Koeman said.

"Especially scanning when turning or passing often goes wrong.

“Yes, in principle, form and fitness are always leading, but that is not always possible. We have a lot of central defenders and midfielders, but we are somewhat limited up front.

“But even then, I still think that you have to earn your selection, and I think he doesn’t deserve that now, but that could be the case again in another period.”

Zirkzee’s United teammate, Matthijs de Ligt, was also left out by Koeman, having previously been in every Netherlands squad, when fit, since receiving his first cap back in 2017.

In October, the centre-back was taken off at half-time after he made a mistake during a 2-2 draw against Germany.

"It just looks like he is now in a period where all his mistakes are being punished," Koeman said after the match.

"I gave him a new chance today, but eventually, I protected him by taking him off."

Several Premier League players have been included, such as Liverpool’s Ryan Gravenberch, Brentford’s Mark Flekken and Bournemouth’s Justin Kluivert.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Manchester United, Premier League, Netherlands, Joshua Zirkzee, Matthijs De Ligt, Ruben Amorim

Luke Davies
Luke Davies

Journalist with expertise covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@lukedaviesmedia

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Liverpool launch £92m raid for two players from the same club

    Arne Slot is clearly being backed by the board again as he launches another summer of spending

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Xabi Alonso prepared to unleash 6ft 7in Chelsea giant yet to play a game for the club

    The new Chelsea boss is wasting no time in making a massive change to the squad.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    'I've been told...' - Man City to lose third player in mass exodus amid Pep Guardiola exit rumours

    Guardiola is expected to leave Man City at the end of the season - and several more players could follow him out of the door.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Hull City consider legal action hours before Southampton expulsion verdict

    The Tigers are considering taking major legal action to secure promotion to the Premier League.

    Football
  • Matthijs de Ligt releases statement after not being seen in Man Utd squad for five months
  • Michael Carrick says Man Utd player may not play again this season
  • Man Utd star 'ready to quit' the club after questioning if he's good enough as shock transfer talks begin for move away
  • Ruben Amorim Blocks Man Utd Player From Leaving the Club With Two-Word Message