sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Senior figure suggests alternative Man City punishment ahead of trial for 115 charges
Home>Football>Football News>Man City
Updated 08:41 16 Sep 2024 GMT+1Published 08:25 16 Sep 2024 GMT+1

Senior figure suggests alternative Man City punishment ahead of trial for 115 charges

City's hearing into 115 alleged breaches of financial rules begins on Monday.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A senior figure from within football has suggested an alternative punishment for Manchester City if they are found guilty of any alleged rule breaches by the Premier League.

City's hearing into 115 charges related to alleged financial rule breaches begins on Monday morning.

The club strenuously deny all the charges and claim to have 'irrefutable evidence' that proves their innocence.

They were initially charged by the Premier League back in February 2023, though it was only confirmed last week that a date for the long-anticipated hearing had been set.

Advert

If found guilty of the more serious charges involved, there are a number of potential punishments for City.

According to the London Evening Standard, a points deduction or heavy fine would be the most likely outcome - but relegation from the Premier League is said to not be off the table.

The Times claimed in August that City are actually facing 130 charges, due to an error in how the Premier League initially reported the alleged breaches. The Premier League declined to comment on this when approached by SPORTbible.

Now, The Telegraph report that the hearing's commission would not have the power to relegate City to a certain division if they are found guilty.

The Premier League hearing into Man City's 115 alleged rule breaches begins on Monday -
Getty

Instead, the club would have to apply to join the EFL - who would be under no obligation to accept them.

Now, a senior figure from the league has suggested another punishment, with The Telegraph reporting that some clubs believe City being relegated would not be harsh enough if they are found guilty of the most serious breaches.

The senior figure has suggested that City could have any points deduction applied over multiple seasons, if guilty, which would impact their ability to challenge for honours in subsequent seasons instead of a straight relegation.

The hearing into City begins on Monday.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Manchester City, EFL Championship, Football, Premier League

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

12 mins ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    12 mins ago

    Kylian Mbappe linked with shock Premier League move after Real Madrid fallout

    The petition to uplift Kylian Mbappe seems to be working, as an old fairy godmother has come to his rescue

    Football
  • Getty & Manchester City
    2 hours ago

    How Man City could line up under Enzo Maresca with dream signing and key Pep Guardiola man dropped

    Enzo Maresca is said to have agreed a three-year deal to replace Pep Guardiola at Manchester City.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    'We approached him' - Roberto Martinez reveals Premier League star refused Portugal call-up ahead of World Cup

    Roberto Martinez has revealed that the proposal to the player was unsuccessful.

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    Why Man City are set to pay Chelsea to replace Pep Guardiola with Enzo Maresca

    Manchester City have agreed a three-year deal with Enzo Maresca, who is set to replace Pep Guardiola.

    Football
  • Lawyer reaches Man City 115 charges verdict after 'speaking to insiders'
  • Gary Neville drops Man City 115 charges theory that makes Ian Wright say 'Really?'
  • Man City 115 Charges Explained as Legal Experts Drop Punishment Hint
  • Man City’s ‘Most Likely’ Punishment In 115 Charges Case Revealed