
Adam Wharton has emerged as a top target for Manchester City to replace Rodri after the club enquired about the Crystal Palace star.
City are desperate to get midfield reinforcements in the door after a raft of departures in the position, with Rodri, Bernardo Silva and Tijjani Reijnders all moving on and Nico Gonzalez said to be attracting strong interest from Newcastle.
The Blues have been linked with a whole host of players, with Lille and Morocco wonderkid Ayyoub Bouaddi said to be a top priority.
However, a fresh report from David Ornstein and Sam Lee of The Athletic claims that City made an enquiry to Palace about Wharton - who is also featured on their recruitment list.
Advert
The 22-year-old has three years remaining on his deal at Selhurst Park and Palace knocked back their initial approach.
The Conference League winners have no intention of selling Wharton, who has also courted interest from a number of other Premier League clubs.
City did business with Palace back in January, snapping up captain Marc Guehi for a fee of £20 million ahead of his contract expiring in the summer.
Under Enzo Maresca, City's only significant signing has been the £116 million signing of Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest.
The club also allowed John Stones to leave on a free transfer, while Savinho and Omar Marmoush could be heading to Spurs in a double deal worth £150 million.
A deep-lying playmaker with an excellent range of passing, Wharton played 53 times in all appearances for Palace last season as they claimed European silverware.
He was also part of the side which won the FA Cup under Oliver Glasner, who delivered the club's first major trophy.
Glasner left for Nottingham Forest and has been replaced by former RC Lens boss Pierre Sage at Selhurst Park.
Man City turn to surprise transfer target in bid to sign new midfielder
Given the shortage of midfield options, City are exploring a number of avenues and the name of Bournemouth midfielder Alex Scott was mentioned by journalist Nico Shira.
However, there is also a new name in the mix. According to Jack Gaughan of the Daily Mail, City are looking at Roma midfielder Manu Kone after offloading Reijnders to Al Qadsiah in the Saudi Pro League.
Kone impressed at the World Cup in France with his ball-winning qualities, making five appearances for Les Bleus.
The former Borussia Monchengladbach is said to be valued at £51 million and did have interest from both Manchester United and Chelsea earlier in the window.
City also hold interest in Chelsea midfielder Enzo Fernandez, who is understood to be keen on reuniting with Maresca at the Etihad Stadium.
City did not place a bid before Chelsea's deadline for which Fernandez was available for £120 million. As it stands, City have yet shown they are happy to cough up Chelsea's increased asking price.
Maresca's men begin their new Premier League campaign against Bournemouth on Sunday.
Topics: Man City, Crystal Palace, Premier League