sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Liverpool face playing Merseyside derby against Everton without full stadium as Anfield woes continue
Home>Football>Football News
Published 08:01 24 Aug 2023 GMT+1

Liverpool face playing Merseyside derby against Everton without full stadium as Anfield woes continue

Liverpool are set to host Everton in October

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Liverpool are faced with the prospect of playing the Merseyside derby against Everton without a full stadium as their Anfield woes continue.

Heading into the 23/24 season, Liverpool were hoping improvements on the Anfield Road stand would be completed by the time they hosted Bournemouth last weekend.

However, the project has been hampered by delays since work started in September 2021, and last week, it was reported that the contractor Buckingham Group has filed a notice to appoint administrators.

Advert

Workers were seen walking off the site at Anfield as work came to a complete halt.

Previously, Liverpool had scheduled the upper tier of the newly improved Anfield Road stand to open by October.

But that plan is now in doubt as club CEO Billy Hogan recently admitted the re-opening date is ‘uncertain’.

This means that Liverpool could be forced to play their fierce local derby against Everton on October 21 with a much-reduced capacity.

At the moment, matches against Aston Villa and West Ham at Anfield are set to be played in front of 50,000 fans.

Speaking to the club’s official website, Hogan said: “We're in a bit of a holding pattern right now based on the news we got. That needs to reach its conclusion before we can truly start to take the next steps. It's important that we don't want to set any false expectations.

Image
Getty

“We are in a bit of a holding pattern right now based on the news that we got on Thursday and that needs to reach its conclusion before we can truly start to take the next steps. But if Buckingham does enter into administration then we’ll need to address any delays that may arise from completing the new stand as a result of that.”

He added: “Obviously we talked about having the stand fully open in October, clearly we have discussed the uncertainty that this announcement creates.

“We are still aiming for October but what we’re working through now is to put a plan in place. I know this is incredibly disappointing and frustrating.”

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Liverpool, Anfield, Football, Everton

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • Image Credit: Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Newcastle set to receive FIFA compensation fee after Alexander Isak transfer to Liverpool

    The Alexander Isak funds continue to pour in despite Liverpool being paid up

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Man City handed second blow as player decides to leave with Pep Guardiola

    Manchester City is being faced with a huge rebuild project in the summer transfer window as another icon walks out with Pep

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    Arsenal player 'open to leaving the club' after winning Premier League title

    The Arsenal star became a Premier League champion but could move on this summer.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Bombshell report into spygate scandal reveals 'disguise' used by Southampton

    More shocking details from Southampton's spying ahead of the play-off final have emerged.

    Football
  • Liverpool star hits out at fans for booing Arne Slot decision against Chelsea
  • Merseyside Derby Postponement Fears Emerge After Met Office Weather Warning
  • Liverpool set unique record with Merseyside derby victory as they have only ever failed to win at two Premier League stadiums
  • Everton Fans Smash Up Anfield After Merseyside Derby Defeat To Liverpool