• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Jermaine Jenas admits sending 'inappropriate messages' as he breaks silence on BBC sacking

Home> Football> Football News

Updated 21:43 23 Aug 2024 GMT+1Published 21:22 23 Aug 2024 GMT+1

Jermaine Jenas admits sending 'inappropriate messages' as he breaks silence on BBC sacking

Jenas has released a lengthy statement on the matter.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

Featured Image Credit: The Sun

Topics: Football, Match Of The Day

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Jermaine Jenas has admitted sending inappropriate messages in a lengthy statement following the termination of his BBC contract.

The corporation confirmed on Thursday that the 41-year-old would no longer be part of their presenting line-up, with BBC News reporting that his contract had been terminated due to 'alleged issues relating to workplace behaviour'.

Shortly after The Sun reported his BBC exit, Jenas - who presented The One Show and appeared on Match of the Day as a pundit - hosted talkSPORT's 'Drive' programme alongside Darren Bent.

He then participated in a short interview with the radio station after his programme had ended, stating that there are 'two sides to every story' and that he was consulting with his lawyers.

Advert

Now, the former Tottenham midfielder has taken part in a lengthy interview with The Sun in which he addresses the allegations against him in full.

Jenas confirms he sent 'inappropriate messages' to two BBC colleagues, but says he did 'nothing illegal' and did not send any sexual pictures or videos.

He says that he is 'ashamed and deeply sorry'.

He added: "I owe everyone an apology - especially the women with whom I was messaging. I am so, so sorry.

Advert

"I am sorry for what I have put them through.

"I think it would be fair to say I have a problem. I know I self-sabotage and have a self-destructive streak when it comes to my relationship especially, and I know I need help. And I am getting help.

Jermaine Jenas worked as a presenter and pundit for the BBC -
Getty

"Before any of this became public, I saw my private doctor and, after a long discussion, booked in for therapy to try and address these issues, where they stem from, and why I have been doing this and hurting the people I love."

Advert

He continued: "I'm not proud of what I wrote and what I said. And I do consider it cheating, yes, although nothing physical ever happened.

"This is all on me and I fully accept there is a level of responsibility that needs to be upheld when you're a member of the BBC."

Jenas says that the women he was texting were 'consenting adults', and also revealed details of the video call with the BBC that ended with the termination of his contract.

He explained: "It was just a grim situation. You're having to sit there and listen to what you've said. I'm not proud of anything.

Advert

"It's embarrassing, and obviously there's four people there on a Zoom call, basically, just listening to all of this, and reading out my messages.

Jermaine Jenas pictured with wife Ellie Penfold -
Getty

"I think I was in shock at the time, there was a lot to process.

"But I'm the married one, I'm at fault, and I was sort of playing this blame game in my head.

Advert

"Some people have suggested I'm the scapegoat here. But I have only myself to blame - I have let everyone around me down and I have disappointed a lot of people.

"I just want to apologise to everyone I have hurt through my actions. I am sorry."

Jenas also works for TNT Sports on their football and Formula E coverage.

He was not scheduled for any of this weekend's Premier League games before the announcement of his BBC exit, with the Daily Mirror reporting that TNT are yet to make any decision on his future.

Meanwhile, talkSPORT confirmed in a statement to SPORTbible: "There are no plans for Jermaine to broadcast as a presenter on talkSPORT in the immediate future."

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
10 hours ago
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    6 hours ago

    Nicolas Jackson's agent speaks out after Chelsea request transfer to Bayern Munich is cancelled

    Chelsea have asked Jackson to return to London.

    Football
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    7 hours ago

    Fan footage of 98th minute incident during Man Utd vs Burnley has become big talking point

    United picked up their first win of the season on Saturday.

    Football
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    8 hours ago

    Police issue statement after teenager arrested near Stamford Bridge over imitation firearm

    The boy was arrested after Chelsea's victory over Fulham on Saturday.

    Football
  • Premier LeaguePremier League
    10 hours ago

    Ruben Amorim's reaction before Bruno Fernandes scored last minute penalty vs Burnley speaks volumes

    It was a nervy game at Old Trafford.

    Football
  • Jermaine Jenas' wife Ellie Penfold breaks silence on 'incredibly difficult' sexting scandal and BBC sacking
  • New frontrunner emerges to replace Gary Lineker as MOTD host after Jermaine Jenas' BBC sacking
  • Jermaine Jenas issues update on his future as a pundit in candid Instagram message after being sacked by BBC
  • Gary Lineker speaks out on Jermaine Jenas and 'ridiculous' story he read about disgraced ex-BBC presenter