• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
FIFA Delete World Cup Poster After Fan Backlash

Home> Football> Football News> FIFA World Cup

Updated 19:40 20 Nov 2025 GMTPublished 19:31 20 Nov 2025 GMT

FIFA Delete World Cup Poster After Fan Backlash

FIFA released its first promotional poster featuring players from all qualified nations.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

FIFA has removed the first official poster of the 2026 World Cup from their social media accounts, according to reports, after it received huge backlash from fans.

A total of 42 teams have secured qualification for next summer's World Cup in the United States, Mexico and Canada, while six more places are up for grabs at the historic 48-team tournament.

On Thursday afternoon, a play-off draw determined the final four European qualifiers, with Northern Ireland, Wales, and the Republic of Ireland finding out who they will face in March next year.

A further two places will be decided from an intercontinental play-off,

Advert

Next month, on the afternoon of December 5, the final draw for the World Cup will take place at the Kennedy Center in Washington, where the likes of England, Germany, Brazil, Spain and Portugal will discover their fate.

After some of the world's best teams confirmed their spot at next summer's tournament, FIFA released its first promotional poster featuring players from all qualified nations.

As seen in the picture below, a flurry of high-profile names featured on the poster, including Erling Haaland, Kylian Mbappe, Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Lionel Messi, who will likely take part in his last World Cup.

But, to the surprise of many, Cristiano Ronaldo was left out, with Bruno Fernandes being Portugal's sole representative next to Austria's Marko Arnautovic.

Ronaldo's absence sparked a huge reaction from fans on social media, with one commenting: "The sport’s biggest face, no debate."

A second wrote: "FIFA leaving Cristiano Ronaldo off the official World Cup poster is hard to understand. From a marketing point of view, he’s the most influential athlete on the planet, the kind of face that sells a tournament."

Many were surprised by Cristiano Ronaldo's omission. Image credit: FIFA/Tribuna
Many were surprised by Cristiano Ronaldo's omission. Image credit: FIFA/Tribuna

A third added: "2026 World Cup poster without Ronaldo? Feels strange. He was the face of every tournament for nearly two decades along with Messi."

After the backlash from fans, FIFA removed the poster from its official X account on Thursday, according to numerous publications, including Tribuna.

It is unclear why FIFA removed the post, despite suggestions that they deleted it due to backlash regarding Ronaldo's absence. SPORTbible has reached out to FIFA for comment.

Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't dream of winning the World Cup

Earlier this month, Ronaldo said his legacy will not be defined by whether or not he wins the World Cup.

"If you ask me, Cristiano, is it a dream to win the World Cup? No, it's not a dream," Ronaldo said in an interview with Piers Morgan. "Define what? To define if I'm one of the best of the history, to win one competition, [of] six games, seven games. You think it's fair?"

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal, FIFA, FIFA World Cup

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

23 mins ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
6 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    23 mins ago

    Darwin Nunez targeted by two Premier League clubs as talks take place

    Nunez has scored nine goals in 24 appearances for Al Hilal this season.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Gareth Barry explains why he'll be 'sad' after James Milner breaks Premier League record

    Milner has broken the record for the most appearances in Premier League history.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Theo Walcott predicts where Real Madrid would come in the Premier League

    Wayne Rooney also made a prediction.

    Football
  • Getty
    6 hours ago

    Zinedine Zidane reaches verbal agreement on return to football

    The Frenchman has been without a managerial role since leaving Real Madrid in May 2021.

    Football
  • FIFA Make Decision on Cristiano Ronaldo World Cup Ban After Red Card
  • FIFA In Dispute Over Hosting World Cup Games At Stadium Where England Will Play
  • Cristiano Ronaldo Could Still Be Banned for World Cup After FIFA Decision
  • Cristiano Ronaldo in 'discussions' to play at FIFA Club World Cup