• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Fans convinced Chelsea's equaliser vs Bournemouth should have been disallowed as damning evidence emerges

Home> Football> Football News> Chelsea

Updated 07:40 15 Jan 2025 GMTPublished 07:38 15 Jan 2025 GMT

Fans convinced Chelsea's equaliser vs Bournemouth should have been disallowed as damning evidence emerges

Enzo Maresca's side had to settle for a 2-2 draw against the Cherries at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday evening.

Luke Davies

Luke Davies

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: TNT Sports

Topics: Chelsea, Premier League, VAR, Reece James, Bournemouth, Football

Luke Davies
Luke Davies

Journalist with expertise covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@lukedaviesmedia

Advert

Advert

Advert

Fans are convinced that Chelsea’s equaliser in the 2-2 draw against Bournemouth at Stamford Bridge should have been disallowed.

Enzo Maresca’s side took an early lead when Cole Palmer netted his 14th Premier League goal of the season 13 minutes in.

But on 50 minutes, Bournemouth hit back when Justin Kluivert converted a penalty, which Moises Caicedo conceded for a challenge on Antoine Semenyo.

Advert

And Semenyo, 25, handed the Cherries the advantage with 22 minutes left to play in west London.

However, Chelsea captain Reece James spared his side’s blushes with a 95th-minute free-kick to send Andoni Iraola’s side home disappointed after a spirited performance.

But Iraola, 42, cut a frustrated figure following the match and appeared to suggest that James’ strike should be “changed”.

As James struck the ball, Marc Cucurella and Nicolas Jackson were stood close to Semenyo, who was placed on the end of Bournemouth's defensive wall with some fans suggesting that their 'intrusion' impaired goalkeeper Mark Travers' vision.

"It's difficult to value,” said the Cherries boss.

“When you consider how Chelsea played and we played, I don't think we deserved to win.

"Cucurella is touching Semenyo and they scored. It should be changed. What do you have to check? I don't think we were better than Chelsea."

“VAR has to check the free-kick and the point of contact,” he added when speaking to BBC Sport.

Fans were quick to give their thoughts on social media.

One said: "Absolutely no way Cucurella and Jackson (who impact Travers’ eyeline) are a metre away from the wall."

Another added: "I’m sorry but look at that gap in the wall. Whether that’s down to Travers, there’s absolutely no way that should happen regardless of the Chelsea players."

A third explained: "I’ll never understand keepers standing in the middle of the goal with free kicks that close."

While a fourth commented: "What a massive baby Iraola is. They're far enough away when the ball is struck but of course your picture isn't of that. Ball goes so far away from them too. Blocking the keeper's eyeline isn't an offence. Headloss take, which is a shame as Bournemouth were better side 2nd half."

Chelsea are back in action against Wolves at Stamford Bridge on Monday 20 January while Bournemouth travel to St James' Park where they will face Newcastle United on Saturday 18 January.

  • Antoine Semenyo speaks out after receiving vile racist message following Liverpool vs Bournemouth
  • Fans can't believe how much Bournemouth want for Antoine Semenyo after paying £10 million for him in 2023
  • Spurs fans convinced TV cameras picked up James Maddison send damning Ange Postecoglou message during AZ Alkmaar defeat
  • Jamie Redknapp Issues Formal Apology Live on Sky During Bournemouth vs Fulham Coverage

Choose your content:

an hour ago
19 hours ago
21 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Donald Trump makes huge decision impacting World Cup nations as White House speaks out

    The US President has made a controversial call ahead of the tournament.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    19 hours ago

    Wrexham transfer target ready to 'accept' move if they achieve Premier League promotion

    Several clubs are also said to be interested, including Aston Villa and Everton.

    Football
  • Getty
    19 hours ago

    Scott McTominay speaks out on future as shock club 'leads way' to sign Napoli star

    McTominay was named as the Serie A MVP last season after signing for Napoli from Manchester United.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    21 hours ago

    Jesse Lingard close to transfer after seven teams 'rejected' chance to sign him

    Lingard is said to be in talks with the little-known club.

    Football