sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Barcelona spent almost 10 minutes with 10 men vs FC Porto after Lamine Yamal left the pitch
Home>Football>Football News>Champions League
Published 11:12 5 Oct 2023 GMT+1

Barcelona spent almost 10 minutes with 10 men vs FC Porto after Lamine Yamal left the pitch

Barcelona manager Xavi later explained why teenager Lamine Yamal left the pitch in the 71st minute against FC Porto.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Barcelona spent almost 10 minutes with 10 men during their Champions League clash against FC Porto after youngster Lamine Yamal left the pitch midway through the second-half.

It was another memorable evening for Yamal, who became the youngest player to start a Champions League game at 16 years and 83 days, beating previous record holder Celestine Babayaro.

He once again impressed on the grandest stage, just weeks after making more history by becoming Spain's youngest ever goalscorer in a 7-1 win.

But with 71 minutes on the clock, many eyebrows were raised when he was forced to leave the Estádio do Dragao pitch.

Advert

In fact, Barca went on to play a further nine minutes with 10 men before Lamal was substituted by Sergi Roberto in the 80th minute.

Xavi would later explain that a stomach problem was the reason behind his lengthy absence.

"Lamine Yamal felt poorly," the former Barcelona midfielder said in his post-match press conference. "He had been telling me for a while that he wasn't feeling good, that he was feeling sick. That his belly was hurting."

The Spaniard added: "We took advantage of a break [in play], but he was unable to carry on."

Yamal may have left the field of play for a toilet break, but the Catalan giants managed to defend their slender lead and secure a second successive win in this season's Champions League.

Image credit: UEFA Champions League
Image credit: UEFA Champions League

Former Manchester City forward Ferran Torres replaced the prolific Robert Lewandowski, who went off in the first-half though injury, and would soon repay his manager's faith with a goal before the break.

After Yamal went off, Gavi was handed a red card in the 93rd minute but they still managed to hold on for a crucial three points in Group H.

“The first half was quite good, but in the second half we suffered. We didn’t play the best game," Xavi said after Wednesday's game.

“It was not our best match, but it was a vital match for us. We won, but we have to play better. We will do it, we will do it.”

He added: “This is the Champions League. And it costs a lot. We won against a historic rival, away from home. We have to emphasize that.”

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images - YouTube/Momen62

Topics: Barcelona, Lamine Yamal, Champions League, FC Porto

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
6 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • Getty
    5 hours ago

    Middlesbrough lawyer speaks out after Southampton expelled from Championship play-offs

    Southampton have been kicked out of this season's EFL play-offs, with Middlesbrough reinstated in their place to take on Hull in the final.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Hull City's response to finding out Southampton have been thrown out of play-offs

    Hull City's response to discovering Southampton have been thrown out of the Championship playoffs meaning they will now face Middlesbrough.

    Football
  • Getty
    6 hours ago

    Forgotten Aston Villa player on verge of football history after Europa League final win

    Aston Villa defeated Freiburg 3-0 to win the Europa League final.

    Football
  • Getty
    7 hours ago

    Southampton lose appeal against EFL play-off expulsion as club issue 'extremely disappointing' statement

    Southampton were initially expelled from the EFL Championship play-off final against Hull City.

    Football
  • Hansi Flick speaks out on Lamine Yamal waving Palestine flag during Barcelona title parade - 'Something I don't like'
  • Lamine Yamal suffers freak injury taking penalty for Barcelona
  • Lamine Yamal Almost Left Barcelona for Just £4.3m in Shock Transfer
  • Lamine Yamal Breaks Silence On 'Incurable' Injury Rumours