In one of the biggest transfer stories of the window so far, Cristiano Ronaldo has asked to be allowed to leave Manchester United should the Premier League club receive a 'satisfactory offer' in the coming weeks.
In fact, Ronaldo, 37, believes he has 'three or four years' left at the highest level.
🔺 EXCLUSIVE: Cristiano Ronaldo has asked to be allowed to leave Manchester United should the Premier League club receive a satisfactory offer in the transfer window https://t.co/yx8POGB5M4— Times Sport (@TimesSport) July 2, 2022
With the experienced forward heading into the last year of his current deal at Manchester United, his future at Old Trafford has been under intense speculation of late.
Last month, the forward's agent reportedly held discussions over a possible transfer with Chelsea owner Todd Boehly.
According to The Athletic, Boehly met Jorge Mendes in Portugal and the idea of Ronaldo making a surprise move to Stamford Bridge this summer were amongst the topics of conversation during the meeting.
🚨 EXCL: Todd Boehly met Jorge Mendes in Portugal last week. Idea of Cristiano Ronaldo to Chelsea among subjects discussed. Unclear if #CFC will pursue. Man Utd expect him to stay. 37yo loves #MUFC but has concerns. With @dansheldonsport for @TheAthleticUK https://t.co/pHXelZAIIb— David Ornstein (@David_Ornstein) June 25, 2022
That's according to German publication Sport1, who claim after internal discussions, Bayern's CEO Oliver Kahn and sports director Hasan Salihamidzic ‘quickly lowered their thumbs’.
Their reason for doing so was largely financial.
And it seems Ronaldo's agent Mendes has been looking elsewhere, too. Last month, Italian outlet La Gazzetta dello Sport reported that Mendes offered his client to Serie A side AS Roma, who are managed by former boss Jose Mourinho.
But Manchester United teammate Bruno Fernandes expects to see Ronaldo in pre-season training on Monday, despite the ongoing transfer rumours surrounding his future.
"I spoke to him a few weeks ago - we're both on vacation, no one bothers friends on vacation," he told Portuguese outlet Record.
"I hope to meet him on the fourth to train there. I'm not expecting more than that. There is nothing more than that, but each one takes care of their future.
"I don't believe that the club is willing to lose a player of the value of Cristiano."
United are 'expecting' the former Real Madrid and Juventus forward to stay, but these latest reports may suggest otherwise.
Thoughts on the future of Ronaldo? Do you think he should stay at Old Trafford and play under Erik ten Tag this season?
Let us know in the comments.
Featured Image Credit: Alamy
- Manchester United Accept They Will Lose Cristiano Ronaldo This Summer
- Gary Neville Says Cristiano Ronaldo Should Be Allowed To Leave Manchester United This Summer
- Cristiano Ronaldo Wants To Leave Manchester United Because Of ‘Lionel Messi Fear’
- Chelsea Told They Would Be ‘Deluded’ To Sign Cristiano Ronaldo