sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
"In the night..." - Romano drops major Fernandez update with "madness" claim
Home>Football
Published 10:01 31 Jan 2023 GMT

"In the night..." - Romano drops major Fernandez update with "madness" claim

The transfer guru has news.

Joe Adams

Joe Adams

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Fabrizio Romano has dropped a major update in the race for Enzo Fernandez as talks between Chelsea and Benfica intensified overnight.

The Blues have been pursuing the 22-year-old throughout January following his impressive performances at the World Cup in Qatar.

He was handed FIFA's Young Player of the Tournament award, and is seen as the perfect addition to Chelsea's midfield.

The West London club have splashed the cash this month, paying £89million for Mykhailo Mudryk, £35 million for Benoit Badashile, and £29 million for Noni Madueke.

Advert

However, they have their eyes on one more deal, with Todd Boehly keen to lure Fernandez to Stamford Bridge. Meanwhile, manager Graham Potter is said to 'fully back' the pursuit.

Benfica called off talks with Chelsea earlier this month due to the instalments in which the Blues wanted to pay for the player, and it was thought that they had missed their chance.

The Telegraph claimed earlier on Monday that the Blues had offered £105 million to sign the midfielder, with the current British record held by Jack Grealish's £100 million move from Aston Villa to Manchester City in 2021.

Talks continued throughout the night and journalist Fabrizio Romano has a fresh update for fans.

Romano labels Fernandez talks 'madness'

Transfer guru Romano tweeted: "It was again a tense night of talks as there’s still no green light from Benfica president Rui Costa to Chelsea €120m proposal.

"Chelsea wanted breakthrough in the night but nothing yet. Negotiations will continue in the morning.

"#DeadlineDay madness."

The Times journalist Duncan Castles, meanwhile, has claimed that Fernandez did not train with Benfica on Monday following reports of a new bid in an attempt to pressure the club into accepting Chelsea's offer.

Follow live updates of all the transfer deadline day madness on the SPORTbible blog.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Chelsea, Enzo Fernandez, Benfica, Fabrizio Romano, Premier League, Football, Transfers, Graham Potter, Todd Boehly

Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Joe is a Journalist for SPORTbible with a primary focus on football. He has previously covered a number of other sports including boxing, rugby and F1. Wishes he was born left-footed.

X

@joeadamsjourno

Recommended reads

Ronnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'GettyAteba Gautier was called the 'future' by Joe Rogan, but he's more interested in what his cats thinkMike Roach/Zuffa LLC

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
5 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    'Unacceptable' - Ligue 1 match abandoned after just 22 minutes as ultras invade pitch

    They have won just five of their league matches all season and some fans have had enough.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    'Not fit to wear the shirt' - Nuno Espirito Santo reacts to brutal West Ham fan criticism as relegation nears

    The Hammers could be relegated to the Championship in midweek without even playing.

    Football
  • ViaPlay | Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    What PSG staff think about huge injury scare ahead of Champions League final vs Arsenal

    The French champions suffered a massive injury concern on the final day of the Ligue 1 season.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    'I made a mistake' - Antoine Griezmann apologises to Atletico Madrid fans in emotional farewell message

    The 35-year-old still hasn't been forgiven by some supporters for what he did.

    Football
  • Fabrizio Romano Drops Major Update on Arne Slot's Liverpool Future
  • Fabrizio Romano drops major Alexander Isak update that will get Liverpool fans very excited
  • Fabrizio Romano provides major update on Martin Zubimendi after claims Real Madrid will 'hijack' Arsenal's deal
  • Mason Mount Clashes With Enzo Fernandez in Post-Match Chelsea Incident