sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
FIVE Belgium players 'booked earlier flights' to fly home separately from teammates
Home>Football
Updated 09:59 3 Dec 2022 GMTPublished 09:54 3 Dec 2022 GMT

FIVE Belgium players 'booked earlier flights' to fly home separately from teammates

Belgium crashed out of the World Cup at the group stage and there have been reports of bust-ups within the squad.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Five Belgium players are said to have booked earlier flights home from the World Cup amid reports of unrest amongst the squad.

The Red Devils crashed out of the World Cup at the group stage after drawing 0-0 with Croatia in their final Group F fixture on Thursday.

Substitute Romelu Lukaku missed four huge chances and had to be consoled by assistant manager Thierry Henry.

Morocco, who beat Belgium a few days earlier, topped the group, with Croatia finishing a point above Roberto Martinez's side in second.

Advert

Even in their opening win over Canada, Belgium were sluggish and soon details emerged of bust-ups in the camp following on from the Morocco loss.

Het Laatste Nieuws are now reporting that a number of Belgium players decided against travelling home with the team and arranged their own flights.

Thomas Meunier, Axel Witsel, Jeremy Doku, Arthur Theate and Lois Openda paid for their own travel from Qatar and reportedly landed in Brussels before their teammates.

Image: Alamy
Image: Alamy

Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne appeared to clash with Toby Alderweireld during the Canada win, later revealing the dispute was over the team's style of play.

He was apparently involved in a disagreement with Jan Vertonghen and Eden Hazard post-Morocco, with Lukaku diffusing the situation.

De Bruyne's comments over the Belgium squad being "too old" to go all the way in an interview with The Guardian reportedly didn't go down well with his colleagues, with Hazard admitting "words had been spoken".

Image: Alamy
Image: Alamy

Vertonghen appeared to mention De Bruyne's quote after the Morocco loss when he told the mixed zone, "We probably also attack badly because we are too old, that must be it now, surely?"

Belgium are currently ranked second in the world rankings and finished in third place in the 2018 World Cup.

But having fielded a side with an average age of 31 years and 95 days against Croatia - the oldest in a World Cup game since 2010 - their 'Golden Generation' era would appear to be over.

Immediately after their exit from the tournament Roberto Martinez announced he was stepping down after six years.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Belgium, Football World Cup, Kevin De Bruyne, Roberto Martinez, Romelu Lukaku

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Scotland announce 26-man squad for first World Cup in 28 years

    Scotland's squad for the World Cup has been confirmed.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    What Joao Pedro did for Brazil teammates who were picked in World Cup squad over him

    Joao Pedro was a surprise omission from Brazil's World Cup squad, with Neymar getting selected ahead of him.

    Football
  • Liverpool/Adidas
    an hour ago

    Liverpool drop major transfer hint in new home kit launch

    Liverpool have released their new home kit

    Football
  • The Overlap - Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Roy Keane tears Bruno Fernandes to shreds over what he said in interview after Nottingham Forest game

    Fernandes equalled the Premier League record for most assists recorded in a season, but Keane was far from impressed.

    Football
  • Belgium announce final World Cup squad and it's the end of the 'Golden Generation'
  • Belgium announce provisional squad for Euro 2024 with superstar missing out after bitter feud
  • Kevin De Bruyne says Belgium won't win the World Cup because they are 'too old' in brutally honest interview
  • A dressing room bust-up between Belgium players took place after Morocco defeat, say reports