• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Algerian Olympic Committee issues new statement on Imane Khelif following gender eligibility controversy

Home> Boxing

Published 13:03 2 Aug 2024 GMT+1

Algerian Olympic Committee issues new statement on Imane Khelif following gender eligibility controversy

Khelif made headlines on Thursday after she beat Italian opponent Angela Carini in just 46 seconds.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Amid the controversy surrounding Imane Khelif's involvement at the 2024 Games in Paris, the Algerian Olympic Committee have backed their fighter with a strongly-worded statement.

On Thursday, Italian fighter Angela Carini broke down in tears after she abandoned her 66kg women's boxing match against Algeria's Khelif, just 46 seconds into the contest.

Carini, who said she had "never been hit so hard" in her life, was punched twice by Khelif in the opening round.

The 25-year-old, who was left with a suspected broken nose, made an attempt to continue following a brief timeout but after speaking to her coaching team, she was caught again seconds later.

Advert

Carini then raised her glove again to the referee, signalling her intention to withdraw. Carini later refused to shake Khelif's hand after the result was confirmed.

Since the welterweight clash on Thursday, there has been a wave of reaction, with particular attention given to Khelif for being disqualified from the Women's World Championships last year for failing gender eligibility tests.

At the time, International Boxing Association (IBA) president Umar Kremlev said the DNA test showed Khelif to have the male XY chromosome.

Women typically have XX chromosome pairs, and men typically have XY pairs.

Neither Khelif nor Taiwanese boxer Lin Yu-ting – another fighter who was disqualified from last year's World Championships for failing gender eligibility tests – have ever identified as male, transgender, or as intersex.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC), which runs the Olympic boxing events, said the disqualification was as a result of elevated levels of testosterone in her system.

And on Thursday, the IOC confirmed that it allowed allowed Khelif to compete in women's boxing at the 2024 Paris Olympics due to her meeting the criteria they set out.

"Every person has the right to practise sport without discrimination," the statement read. "All athletes participating in the boxing tournament of the Olympic Games Paris 2024 comply with the competition’s eligibility and entry regulations, as well as all applicable medical regulations set by the Paris 2024 Boxing Unit (PBU)."

Now, Algeria's Olympic Committee have backed their fighter with a statement of their own.

The AOC said: "The International Olympic Committee has reaffirmed its commitment to ensure that all athletes participating in the Paris 2024 Olympic Games comply with the eligibility and compliance rules.

"Our team athletes, including our champion, have always adhered to these regulations in all international competitions. We strongly support our heroine and continue to defend her rights as a fair and qualified competition."

Ahead of Thursday's contest at the North Paris Arena, Algeria's Olympic Committee issued a public statement condemning "baseless" attacks on Khelif after questions were raised over her participation at the Olympics.

The statement read: "COA strongly condemns the unethical targeting and maligning of our esteemed athlete, Imane Khelif, with baseless propaganda from certain foreign media outlets.

"Such attacks on her personality and dignity are deeply unfair, especially as she prepares for the pinnacle of her career at the Olympics.

"The COA has taken all necessary measures to protect our champion."

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: Olympics, Boxing, Boxing News

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
9 hours ago
16 hours ago
3 days ago
  • Getty
    5 hours ago

    Mike Tyson to fight Floyd Mayweather with date and location confirmed

    Mike Tyson and Floyd Mayweather could be set for a meeting inside the ring.

    Boxing
  • ProBoxingFans/YouTube
    9 hours ago

    John Fury goes ballistic and hunts down Carl Froch before Tyson Fury presser

    Both men have been at a pre-fight press conference to promote Tyson Fury's comeback bout against Arslanbek Makhmudov.

    Boxing
  • Getty
    16 hours ago

    Mike Tyson confirms his next fight after losing to Jake Paul

    Mike Tyson is set to have another fight this year after returning against Jake Paul.

    Boxing
  • Who Wants To Be A Millionaire/YouTube
    3 days ago

    Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Contestant Loses Thousands After Trusting Audience On Sport Question

    The contestant trusted the audience on a question that most sports fans could have answered easily.

    Boxing
  • Algerian media make their feelings clear on Imane Khelif gender test controversy and potential Olympic ban
  • Imane Khelif Fires Back at Donald Trump as She Makes 2028 Olympic Announcement
  • Imane Khelif 'goes missing' after gender test 'leak' as boxing tournament issues statement
  • Algerian Boxing Federation issues new statement on Imane Khelif amid calls for Olympic gold medal to be stripped