Conor McGregor Shows His True Colours During Honest Interview Ahead Of UFC 246
Conor McGregor has opened up about his fierce rivalry with Khabib Nurmagomedov ahead of his long-awaited UFC return.
The 31-year-old Irishman will make his sensational comeback on Saturday at UFC 246 in a welterweight fight with Donald Cerrone.
But McGregor has refused to rule out a rematch with Khabib, who defeated him in 2018, and wants the blockbuster clash to happen before the end of 2020.
During an appearance on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show, the 'Notorious' admitted that his rivalry with the UFC lightweight champ escalated to boiling point and became "very, very personal."
He explained: "Some of the things, maybe, maybe too far. But, hey, it is what it is. And it's the fight business.
"At the end of the day, it went the way it went, and that's it."
McGregor also revealed that he had been drinking "all bleedin' fight week" in October 2018, which would end in a submission defeat to Khabib at UFC 229.
But the UFC superstar said that he hasn't had a drink during his current camp ahead of the showdown with Cerrone.
According to McGregor, the UFC 246 camp is a different environment compared to the one that he had at UFC 229 for the Khabib fight.
"Communication has been excellent this camp," he said.
"And I made sure of that because it wasn't the last camp. Not even with [my coach] John [Kavanagh], with everyone involved, you know.
"So I've been a lot more in communication with my team and relaying how I feel."
The 'Notorious,' who will turn 32 in July, claimed that he would become a billionaire by the time he turns 35.
And one way McGregor plans to make a hefty payday is from his fight with Cerrone, which he claims will earn him a whopping $80m.
More Like ThisMore Like This
He said: "Yeah. I'd say about, it could be, I'm estimating a good $80million.
"Fifty [million] [from the Khabib fight], $50 [million] and a bit.
"They think I'm toast, Ariel, but I'm still the bread."
McGregor also turned his attention to rival Floyd Mayweather, who defeated him in a mega-crossover bout in 2017, and called him out for another fight.
The Irishman suggested that Mayweather, who is "coming out of retirement in 2020," agreed to fight him in an MMA bout.
He explained: "I know I'd beat Floyd if we rematched and when we rematch... It was supposed to be me boxing, then we'll do a mixed martial arts bout.
"That's what was said, and it came out of his mouth as well. It was not written, but it was a verbal agreement."
McGregor refused to rule out a boxing match with another fighter, saying he would love to step into the squared circle with Manny Pacquiao or Paul Malignaggi.
McGregor also denied the allegations facing him outside of the octagon and hit back at his critics, saying that he has learned "valuable lessons."
He said: "Look at where it led me, reacting to disrespect and these types of things.
"And I just learned some valuable lessons in this that I'm very, very thankful for. And I will use them going forward."
McGregor, who plans to compete three times in 2020, also named Kamaru Usman, Colby Covington, Jorge Masvidal and Justin Gaethje on his fight list.
He said: "Also, 170 is an exciting [division] for me. I like 170. I like what's going on in the 170 division at the minute. You got Jorge with that belt.
"You got the other guys [Usman and Covington] fighting for the belt.
"I like all that's going on at 170, and I feel good at 170. I feel energetic. It's what I weigh, and that's it. So it opens up so many more options, right?"
Featured Image Credit: ESPN/MMA Show
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read