• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Saudi organisers make major rule change to $1m snooker tournament hours before event featuring 'Golden Ball'

Home> Snooker

Updated 10:27 4 Mar 2024 GMTPublished 09:54 4 Mar 2024 GMT

Saudi organisers make major rule change to $1m snooker tournament hours before event featuring 'Golden Ball'

The Riyadh Season World Masters of Snooker will begin on March 4th.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: Snooker, Ronnie OSullivan, Saudi Arabia

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Advert

Advert

Advert

Organisers of the Riyadh Season World Masters of Snooker have been criticised after they made a major rule change ahead of Monday's opening night.

It was initially stated that the tournament would be contested by 10 players; the top eight players in the world rankings at the end of the Players Championship on February 25 and two wild cards.

Luca Brecel, who is the top seed following his win at the World Championship last year, will feature alongside Ronnie O'Sullivan, Judd Trump, Mark Allen, Mark Selby, Shaun Murphy, Mark Williams and Ali Carter.

But hours before the opening night on March 4th, where two wild cards will take on the two lowest-ranked seeds, Mark Williams and Ali Carter, the rules were changed.

Advert

Now, two more names from the world of snooker have been added as part of an "expanded" tournament.

As you can see from social media post below, both Ding Junhui [rank nine] and John Higgins [rank 10] were announced as late additions by the World Snooker Tour.

Here's how fans on social media have reacted to the news.

One said: "Just making it up as you go along," while another commented: "Superb planning for this event. Hats off to the organisers."

A third wrote: "How are Ding and Higgins going to be shoehorned into the draw Genuinely can't see how, unless they drop seeds 5 and 6 into the prelim round?"

A fourth added: "Higgins and Ding join the others out in Saudi. How will this change the format of the event?!"

The format at the Riyadh Season World Masters will be the same as other major tournament aside from the addition of a golden ball.


When the tournament was announced last month, organisers confirmed that a 23rd ball will be available for those who are on a 147 maximum break.

“Each game will be played under World Snooker rules and regulations but with the introduction of an innovative new concept, a 23rd ball known as the Riyadh Season ball,” The World Snooker Tour said in a statement.

“This gold ball will be worth 20 points and can only be potted once all other balls have been successfully cleared from the table if a player is on a maximum break to make it 167.”

So where will it be placed? World number three Mark Allen recently gave the clearest indication yet that the ball will be placed in the middle of the baulk cushion.

Taking to Instagram, he wrote: "We've been told it's going in the middle of the baulk cushion. It will be removed once a 147 is no longer possible in a frame. If moved legally during the frame, it stays where it finishes."

It is believed the prize money for hitting a 167 break will be £400,000.

Eurosport will broadcast live coverage of The Riyadh Season World Masters of Snooker, with play starting on Monday at 2pm UK time. There will also be two sessions starting at 2pm and 7pm on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Choose your content:

10 hours ago
7 days ago
a month ago
  • WST / ITV Sport
    10 hours ago

    Mark Williams throws towel on the table to end match after Judd Trump fluke

    Trump defeated Williams to reach the Players Championship semi-finals.

    Snooker
  • Getty
    7 days ago

    ISU Respond To Judging Controversy After Winter Olympics Silver Medal

    The judging for the figure skating ice dance caused a huge stir, with governing body ISU weighing in.

    Snooker
  • Getty
    a month ago

    Snooker Star Arrested for Match-Fixing Was Banned and Sent to Prison

    He was banned from snooker before being sent to jail.

    Snooker
  • Getty Images
    a month ago

    Neil Robertson Masters Win Creates Freak Near-Impossible Snooker Record

    The odds of it happening were 220,000-1.

    Snooker
  • Ronnie O'Sullivan once controversially scored 146 on purpose as new 'strike' announced for same reason
  • Ronnie O'Sullivan to headline new Saudi snooker tournament that features bizarre 'golden ball' rule
  • Fan calls for 'Golden Ball' snooker rule change after Kyren Wilson hits incredible 147 break
  • Ronnie O'Sullivan makes feelings clear on controversial Saudi tournament that has bizarre 'golden ball' rule