
Martin Kaymer has spoken out about the future of LIV Golf star Jon Rahm amid conflicting reports over whether he has agreed to re-join the PGA Tour.
Rahm's future has been uncertain ever since it was announced that Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) would pull its funding from the LIV Golf Tour at the end of 2026.
LIV CEO Scott O'Neil confirmed earlier this month that an unnamed new investor had been sourced, and that they had signed a term sheet.
ESPN subsequently reported the identity of the lead investor as Ted Goldthorpe, who is the Head of Credit for private equity company BC Partners.
Advert
O'Neil's comments on star players Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau were more intriguing, as he stated: "While I have all the time in the world for Jon Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau, I think I'd be remiss in saying they're not the only two of the biggest, best golfers on the planet, but I think they're some of the biggest stars in sports, let alone golf.
"I would certainly love them to come along for the ride and journey because they carry maybe more weight than anybody in the game, and I have a lot of time for that.
"I think we have enough support from enough players, and we have such an interesting format and global format, I think we'll do quite well in getting the right stars for this game."
READ MORE: LIV Golf chief gives update on Bryson DeChambeau and Jon Rahm futures after securing new investment
Tee Times reported on Tuesday that Rahm had reached an agreement to return to the PGA Tour from 2027, accompanied by a series of strict criteria including the donation of his existing £25 million fines to various charities. A similar agreement was put in place to allow Brooks Koepka to return to the PGA at the beginning of 2026.
But Golfweek's Eamon Lynch claims that, according to multiple sources, there have been no talks as of yet between Rahm and the PGA while he is still under contract with LIV.
'You will only get the truth if...' - Martin Kaymer on Jon Rahm contract
As for LIV, Goldthorpe is said to have spoken to the players on Tuesday in a private meeting, with Kaymer revealing scant details surrounding that - and over the future of Rahm - in an interview with golf reporter Garrett Johnston.
"You never know if it's true or not," Kaymer said of reports surrounding Rahm's potential exit. "For me, obviously, I take care of my own stuff. Is it true what they write? You will only get the truth if you talk to him.
"I don't know if he has been asked about it. I try to stay out of it.
"I can only say that we had a meeting with a new investor, which was very positive. A lot of good energy in there. We don't know yet where it's going to lead us - we're only in the early stages.
"I think at this point, what we can know, we know, as much as the investor can tell us. Now, the focus should be just finishing the season in style. In the next weeks, we'll probably have even more strategy for 2027. It's quite difficult to find solutions if you haven't finished the season yet."
Topics: Golf