Jurgen Klopp has a dig at Chelsea over Moises Caicedo and Romeo Lavia transfer saga
| Last updated
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp was asked about Chelsea's interest in Moises Caicedo and Romeo Lavia during his latest press conference – and he proceeded to aim a not-so-subtle dig at the Blues.
It was widely reported on Monday that Liverpool have agreed a deal worth £60 million for highly-rated Southampton midfielder Romeo Lavia.
It comes after Mauricio Pochettino''s side agreed a British record deal worth £100 million plus £15 million in performance-related add-ons for Caicedo ahead of a scheduled medical on Monday.
Caicedo was strongly linked with a transfer to Liverpool. In fact, Jurgen Klopp said a deal had been agreed in a press conference last week, but it appears a move to Stamford Bridge is on the cards.
🆕 More on Moisés #Caicedo and his record transfer / @ChelseaFC:— Florian Plettenberg (@Plettigoal) August 14, 2023
➡️ 1st part of his medical is done ✔️
➡️ Medical will be finalized today. #CFC
8-years-contract; more than £115m transfer fee + add-ons confirmed. Announcement soon. @SkySportDE 🇪🇨 pic.twitter.com/he4WsgBPmT
With rumours over Lavia and Caicedo's future still lingering, Klopp was questioned about the pair in his latest press conference and well, he gave his honest thoughts on the situation.
"A lot of Chelsea and Liverpool fans were talking before the game about transfers, with Caicedo and Lavia, and it seems both teams are interested," one reporter asked.
He added: "Is there anything you can say to enlighten people of what may or may not happen?"
Klopp soon replied: "Where’s the camera? No [I cannot say anything]," he said. "Oh, that [new signings] is what the Chelsea manager wants, and usually they get it... I’ve got nothing to say about it to be honest. I’m sorry.”
You can check out that moment in full below.
Liverpool, meanwhile, have reportedly identified an alternative target in case the deal to sign Moises Caicedo falls through.
According to ESPN NL, the Reds are interested in signing PSV midfielder Ibrahima Sangare this summer, with Kiki Musampa, the brother of Sangare's agent, confirmed the news.
Sangare has received Premier League interest from West Ham and Nottingham Forest this summer, as well as German giants Bayern Munich.
The 25-year-old, who has told PSV he is ready to test himself in the Premier League should a bid arrive, is said to have a €37 million release clause.
Thoughts on Klopp's comments in the press conference on Sunday? Let us know in the comments.