• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Cristiano Ronaldo has been given special SIM card ahead of AFC Champions League clash in Iran

Home> Football> Saudi Pro League

Updated 12:07 19 Sep 2023 GMT+1Published 10:12 19 Sep 2023 GMT+1

Cristiano Ronaldo has been given special SIM card ahead of AFC Champions League clash in Iran

Cristiano Ronaldo and his Al Nassr side take on Persepolis on Tuesday evening.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Cristiano Ronaldo and his Al Nassr teammates have been given a special SIM card ahead of their AFC Champions League clash with Persepolis.

Al Nassr are the first Saudi side to play in Iran for eight years, with relations between the two countries non-existent until a an agreement was brokered by China earlier this year.

Al Nassr and Persepolis have been paired in the same Champions League group, with the first meeting taking place at the Azadi Stadium in Tehran, the capital of Iran.

Advert

Upon arrival Ronaldo and the rest of the group saw their coach mobbed by fans, who even managed to make their way into the Espinas Palace Hotel where Luis Castro's side are staying.

Ronaldo was handed some roses and gifted a traditional Persian rug, but according to the Daily Mail, he and his colleagues also received SIM cards for internet access.

Locals are heavily restricted, with tens of thousands of websites and all international messaging and social media all blocked.

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

The reasons are political and religious, but proceedings were ramped up around a year ago when protests went on for months in the country following the death of Mahsa Amin in police custody.

As per Al Jazeera, apps like WhatsApp and Instagram were blocked as authorities claimed foreign platforms were supporting the "riots" and endangering national security.

X, Facebook and access to other news outlets are also unavailable.

Citizens have bypassed the ruling with VPNs to change their locations but authorities have grown wise to that and so connections must be altered regularly in what is a fairly tedious task.

Iran's Minister of Tourism and Cultural Heritage, Ezzatollah Zarghami, called for Ronaldo and his family to download domestic messaging services in order to communicate.

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

Zarghami told reporters: "He can contact his wife and children and neighbourhood friends and everyone else, and tell them all to install them as well, and he should feel lucky to be able to do that too!”

Meanwhile, Reza Darvish, Persepolis's president, had encouraged for Al Nassr players and officials to be given the SIM cards.

He said: "I have spoken with the CEO of [major mobile carrier] Irancell, and I told him we want to give players and personnel Irancell SIM cards with unrestricted internet so they can use it from the time they enter Iran till the time they leave,” he said.

No fans will be in attendance for the fixture, with Persepolis serving a one-game stadium ban for a social media post which was deemed offensive.

SPORTbible are on WhatsApp! We've launched a dedicated news channel to send you the latest news, features and plenty more directly on WhatsApp and all you need to do to sign up is click through to our one-way broadcast channel here for 'SPORTbible News' to appear in the 'Updates' tab on your WhatsApp.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Cristiano Ronaldo, Al Nassr

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

11 mins ago
9 hours ago
11 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • Getty
    11 mins ago

    Footage of stadium due to host World Cup opener sparks fears it won't be ready

    The 2026 World Cup will kick off in June across the USA, Mexico and Canada.

    Football
  • TNT Sports
    9 hours ago

    John Rooney reveals what Keith Andrews told his players after FA Cup heartbreak

    Macclesfield FC were beaten by Brentford in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

    Football
  • Getty
    11 hours ago

    Man Utd planning move for Liverpool star in first transfer between clubs since 1964

    One player could make a controversial move from Liverpool to Manchester United.

    Football
  • Getty
    12 hours ago

    FA Cup 5th round draw in full as Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City learn opponents

    The draw for the fifth round of the FA Cup has been made.

    Football
  • Why Cristiano Ronaldo's next game will be played behind-closed-doors
  • Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi's first payslips compared from Man Utd and Barcelona days
  • Cristiano Ronaldo nearly knocks out cameraman with free kick during Al Nassr victory
  • Cristiano Ronaldo gives the most mature and honest assessment of rivalry with Lionel Messi