sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Real reason Cristiano Ronaldo isn't in Al Nassr squad for AFC Champions League clash amid '99 lashes' claim
Home>Football>Saudi Pro League
Published 15:06 3 Mar 2025 GMT

Real reason Cristiano Ronaldo isn't in Al Nassr squad for AFC Champions League clash amid '99 lashes' claim

Ronaldo hasn't been included in Stefano Pioli's squad for their game against Esteghlal on Monday.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The truth behind Cristiano Ronaldo's absence from Al-Nassr's squad for their upcoming AFC Champions League clash has emerged amid false claims about an incident that happened in 2023.

Al Nassr will face Iranian side Esteghlal in the last 16 of the Asian Champions League on Monday, just three days falling to a 2-1 defeat against Al Orobah.

Cristiano Ronaldo played the full 90 minutes in last week's Saudi Pro League game but to the surprise of many, the 40-year-old has been left out of Stefano Pioli's squad for their trip to Iran.

As a result, several leading media outlets – including MARCA and RMC Sport – claimed his absence was due to a meeting with a fan in 2023.

Advert

The report from Spanish publication MARCA said: "Cristiano Ronaldo was filmed giving a hug and a kiss on the forehead to Fatemeh Hammami Nasrabadi, an artist who suffers from a disability and paints with her feet."

They added: "According to Iranian law, the gesture can be considered adultery, as the kiss is not directed by the spouse. The penalty includes up to 99 lashes."

The claim has since been denied by the Iranian embassy, who have released a statement regarding the story.

“We strongly deny the issuance of any court ruling against any international athlete in Iran,” a spokesperson told talkSPORT. “His sincere and humane meeting with Fatemeh Hamami was also praised and admired by both the people and the country’s sports authorities.”

When the claims initially circulated in October 2023 – after Al Nassr was hosted Iranian side Persepolis – the Iranian embassy in Spain strongly denied the information.

"We strongly deny the issuance of any judicial ruling against any international athlete in Iran," they wrote on X, formerly Twitter.

"It is a matter of concern that the publication of such baseless news could overshadow crimes against humanity and war crimes against the oppressed Palestinian nation.

"It should be noted that Cristiano Ronaldo travelled to Iran on 18 and 19 September to play in an official football match and was warmly welcomed by the people and authorities. His sincere and humane meeting with Fatemeh Hamami was also praised and admired by both the people and the sports authorities in the country."

The Iranian embassy in Spain posted this picture of Ronaldo and Fatemeh Hamami. Image credit: X/@IraninSpain
The Iranian embassy in Spain posted this picture of Ronaldo and Fatemeh Hamami. Image credit: X/@IraninSpain

A report from the Saudi Gazette claims Ronaldo has been rested for the game against Esteghlal, with the decision being made after consultation between the coaching and medical staff following muscle fatigue.

Stefano Pioli is hoping to use Ronaldo for the return leg in Riyadh on March 10.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: Cristiano Ronaldo, Saudi Pro League, Al Nassr, Saudi Arabia

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

8 hours ago
9 hours ago
11 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • Liverpool FC/Getty
    8 hours ago

    ‘That’s never going to happen to me again’: Mo Salah’s darkest moment explained by fellow Liverpool legend

    This almost broke the Egyptian.

    Football
  • Eddie Keogh/Stringer/Getty
    9 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola praised after speaking about the one regret he's ‘hid deep inside for many years'

    The Manchester City man still thinks about it.

    Football
  • Getty
    11 hours ago

    Jose Mourinho ready to axe TEN Real Madrid players including unthinkable name

    Mourinho is willing to sanction the sales of a host of Real Madrid stars - with some more surprising inclusions than others.

    Football
  • Getty
    12 hours ago

    Man Utd 'close in' on £140m double transfer including player Michael Carrick 'specifically wants'

    Michael Carrick was officially unveiled as United's new permanent head coach on Friday, having signed a two-year contract.

    Football
  • Cristiano Ronaldo left 'in tears' after unthinkable scenario plays out in Al Nassr game
  • Cristiano Ronaldo's furious actions spotted after Al Nassr lose AFC Champions League Two final
  • Cristiano Ronaldo 'Goes on Strike' And Is 'Refusing to Play For Al Nassr'
  • Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Silence After 'Refusing to Play' For Al Nassr