• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Phil Thompson reveals brutal way Sky Sports sacked him, Matt Le Tissier and Charlie Nicholas

Home> Football> Premier League

Published 19:37 15 Feb 2025 GMT

Phil Thompson reveals brutal way Sky Sports sacked him, Matt Le Tissier and Charlie Nicholas

The broadcaster parted ways with the ex-Liverpool, Southampton and Arsenal players.

John McDougall

John McDougall

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports/Screengrab

Topics: Sky Sports, Liverpool, Arsenal, Matt Le Tissier, Southampton

John McDougall
John McDougall

Advert

Advert

Advert

Phil Thompson has opened up on the brutal way that Sky Sports sacked him and fellow pundits Matt Le Tissier and Charlie Nicholas.

Former Liverpool defender Thompson was among several long-time pundits who were affected through a shake-up by the broadcaster which impacted its flagship Soccer Saturday programme and others.

Thompson had been a pundit for Sky Sports for 22 years but was let go by Sky Sports in August 2020.

Also departing was Southampton legend Le Tissier and former Arsenal man Nicholas, with all three having regularly appeared on Soccer Saturday for years alongside long-time host Jeff Stelling, who has since also left the programme.

Advert

The 71-year-old has now spoken about leaving Sky Sports and revealed though he was unhappy at the time, he has now moved on from it.

Speaking on the No Tippy Tappy Football podcast, Thompson said: "It's like when you come to the end of your football career, you always think you can go on and that you're better than whoever has taken your place.

"I got a bit of great advice when I was told I was on the programme at its best ever place. I always think I could still do that but things have to evolve.

"I was unhappy at the time but it moves on."

Phil Thompson (right) left Sky Sports in 2020. (Image: Getty)
Phil Thompson (right) left Sky Sports in 2020. (Image: Getty)

And Thompson has now revealed that he, Nicholas and Le Tissier were also informed that Sky Sports would no longer be requiring their services via a Zoom call from the broadcaster and were not given the news in person.

Thompson has described the 'shock' and is critical of the broadcaster's decision to inform all three former players they were being let go via a call, but the ex-Liverpool man admitted he enjoyed 'every minute' of the experience of working with Sky Sports.

He said: "I was just shocked that, I was the oldest and I could accept it more than Charlie (Nicholas) or Matt (Le Tissier), who were younger than me, but for them to make the announcements to three of us in one day on Zoom (calls), one after another, it just didn't seem good practice.

"If I went first, not a problem, then maybe Charlie a year or two down the line, I get that. But to me it was a big shock.

"But I enjoyed every minute of it. I worked with some great people and some bad people, I won't mention names but it as a great experience."

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Rafa Benitez 'facing sack' after being handed record-breaking contract

    The former Liverpool and Newcastle manager could be replaced by one of his former players.

    Football
  • X
    2 hours ago

    Fans baffled after penalty becomes opposition free-kick before ball is kicked

    The incident happened during a National League match on Tuesday (February 17).

    Football
  • CBS Sports - Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Tunnel footage from Benfica vs Real Madrid emerges after claims of fight

    Benfica president Rui Costa could be seen in the clip.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    UEFA take action after Vini Jr and Gianluca Prestianni incident in new statement

    Real Madrid's Champions League play-off first leg against Benfica was stopped for 10 minutes after Vinicius flagged alleged racist abuse.

    Football
  • Darts Star Subjected to Brutal Ally Pally Chant That Was Audible on Sky Sports
  • Sky Sports News set to make several high-profile presenters and reporters redundant in shock move
  • Sky Sports announce new title track for Premier League coverage and fans have completely lost it
  • Gary Neville in Sky Sports blunder after making brutal comment thinking he wasn't on air