sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Four Players Sent Off In Wild Brawl During Porto vs Sporting, Of Course One Was Pepe
Home>Football
Published 09:55 12 Feb 2022 GMT

Four Players Sent Off In Wild Brawl During Porto vs Sporting, Of Course One Was Pepe

It all went down after the final whistle.

Daniel Marland

Daniel Marland

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Porto and Sporting CP played out a 2-2 draw on Friday night and at the full-time whistle, both sides brawled with four men being sent off.

It was a dramatic contest at the Estadio do Dragao as Porto battled back from 2-0 down to earn a vital point.

Sebastian Coates had been sent off early in the second half but the real drama started right at the death and of course, Pepe was at the heart of it.

Advert

The Porto defender went down in the box after being caught by Joao Palhinha's overhead clearance.

Play continued while Pepe remained grounded but as soon as the referee blew, chaos ensued.

A 40-man brawl which even involved a few of the ballboys broke out and went on for over five minutes.

Substitutes poured out of the dugout to get involved and coaches were forced to calm everyone down.

Porto midfielder Otavio appeared to tell Sporting defender Matheus Reis to 'come inside' and continue their feud.

Reis was one player who seemed to be targeted by the ballboys in the melee, being shoved with force.

Image
BT Sport

When all was said and done, the four players sent off were Pepe, Agustin Marchesin, Palhinha and Bruno Tabata.

Porto remain six points ahead of Sporting in the league table and are still unbeaten in league action this campaign.

Veteran defender Pepe is known for his short temper and he's been given seven yellow cards in Liga Bwin so far.

Last night was his first red of the season and it's fair to say the referee got it spot on.

Fans have reacted to the incident and they weren't shocked it was the 38-year-old at the heart of it all.

One commented: "This is what I mean when I say our rivalries are different to the rivalries you see in the Prem."

Image
Alamy

Another added: "Pepe looked ready to kill someone lol."

While a third said: "Pepe is 38 but not calmed down, love to see it."

Pepe tried to fight the entire Atletico Madrid team back in December so if you thought he was ready to calm it down in the twilight of his career, think again.

Porto face Lazio in the Europa League on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Sporting face Manchester City in the first leg of their Champions League last 16 clash on Tuesday evening.

Featured Image Credit: BT Sport

Topics: Sporting CP, FC Porto, Pepe, Portugal

Daniel Marland
Daniel Marland

Daniel is SPORTbible's Senior Social Editor.

X

@DanMarland_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

17 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty & Sky Sports
    17 mins ago

    Burnley owner JJ Watt's controversial post about Arsenal red card decision goes viral

    Former NFL star JJ Watt reacted in controversial fashion after Kai Havertz avoided a red card against Burnley on Monday Night.

    Football
  • Instagram/madhousetv_ - Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Neymar's immediate reaction to Brazil World Cup call up is going viral

    Neymar, who is Brazil's leading goalscorer with 79 goals from his 128 appearances, will feature at a fourth World Cup.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Chelsea prepared to sell Joao Pedro to fund transfer for global superstar

    Pedro could leave Chelsea

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Footage of Joao Pedro's family reacting to Brazil squad announcement is a painful watch

    Pedro was left out of Carlo Ancelotti's 26-man squad.

    Football
  • Porto defender Pepe slept in his mother's bed until he was 17
  • Pepe shown straight red card against Sporting Lisbon for 'punching' player in the face
  • Former Real Madrid Defender Pepe Slept In Bed With His Mum Until He Was 17
  • Porto Manager Sergio Conceicao Celebrates Wildly After His Son Scores Dramatic Late Winner Off The Bench